New user assistance of where you can an cannot fly

email sent… let’s see if they reply.

The North York Moors restriction is minimal. All they are saying is you can’t take off or land on their property, and as they only own 1% of the National Park, that’s no big deal.

but it doesn’t state which part is theirs… i.e. could I go up roseberry topping 1st thing and take a flight? I have seen videos of people doing this, but are the supposed to be doing so

Best just to email them to find out if that is in their property or not. Ps: 9 times out of 10, if you’re up early, don’t bother anyone, fly sensitively, you will never need to worry about the legalities.

1 Like

It seems all the national parks use the same phrase “gain the landowners permission” but don’t know who owns most of it as it’s all estate owners.

1 Like

they just sent me this email…

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your enquiry. The presence of drones can have a negative impact on the sense of remoteness and tranquillity of the North York Moors and can also impact on wildlife, therefore there are strict procedures in place to monitor this.

The National Park Authority owns less than 1% of the North York Moors, with some 80% in private ownership. We are therefore unable to grant permission for take-off and landing a drone in more than 99% of the National Park.

For your particular enquiry if you wish to film along the Cleveland Way you would have to contact the landowners to gain permission. The main landowners along the coast are the National Trust, Mulgrave Estate and the Duchy of Lancaster. You would have to contact them directly providing proof of CAA registration and insurance details.

In regards to filming on our land, the National Park Authority may, under some circumstances, grant permission for the take-off and landing of drones from areas of land in its ownership when there is sufficient reason to do so.

Permission will only be granted to professional operators who can provide proof of professional registration and appropriate insurance.

Permission will only be granted to operators working with recognised production companies.

The National Park Authority will not grant permission to amateur operators as our estate in Levisham includes Sites of Special Scientific Interest that need to be protected and these cannot be relaxed.

I hope this helps with your enquiry.

Best option is to find a quiet spot where nobody will bother you, and get on with it. Next best is a public highway or public right of way. Last option is to ask a landowner, offering to share photos for free.

No point asking the National Trust!

6 Likes

Nation Trust own most of the NYM… not sure if there are public right of ways?

well there are obviously… but maybe I am being too cautious?

https://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/about-us/rights-of-way

Agree with @kvetner, 10 months now since forestry commission said no flying over the chase I just find a quiet spot and job done so anyone out walking will see or hear the quad but unless they follow it thru forest even then they won’t find me all they will see is tree tops its quite dense. :+1:

2 Likes

@MarkR I’ll check the online maps for you later when I’m home.

1 Like

+1

Better to beg forgiveness than seek permission.

Follow the drone code, have your paperwork with you, most importantly pick your time of day.

On the moors I found it easiest to park up and walk 10 mins in and find a quiet spot.

Edit - I usually do a generic search on youtube, gives you ideas and general feel of the place, I’ve not searched many without results

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=north+yorkshire+moors+drone

4 Likes

looks positive… just not on the Cleveland way which is NT owned. Path to Hanging Stone is public… perfect… some amazing views from up there…

1 Like

ok the National trust replied… I won’t post it but basically no, piss off you are not allowed…

ok I will post 1 line
"In addition, National Trust byelaws prohibit the use of aerial vehicles. The byelaws reflect the charitable core purposes of the Trust to enable us to preserve special places for the nation. "

So find a public path and crack on??

3 Likes

I’m doing the same, only ever been quizzed once and that was that bellend on Sunday lol

2 Likes

Even if its a public path its my understanding that you need the landowners permission.

Well guys I really appreciate the comments and reply’s from my original question but one thing it has highlighted is that there seems to be more local areas around me where I “cannot’ fly than there are areas that I can without “bending” the local landowners bylaws a bit lol !

I’ve only once stopped and thought I shouldn’t really be flying here , too risky. That was in the UAE, apart from that I just fly.

3 Likes

Seems common sense, at the end of the day are there signs telling you not to fly in these areas ? If the NATS app does not show any restrictions and you have all your paperwork with you could you not just plead ignorance ? As longs as we are flying “considerately” and following the code what can they say or are we all required to read the websites for every area we fly as part of the pre flight considerations ?

2 Likes

even on a public right of way…? this hobby is so confusing :smiley:

1 Like

Legally, you can stop for a break on a PROW to take photos, so long as you don’t obstruct the path. But there’s no case law about a right to fly a drone and you can expect an unhappy landowner to make a fuss.

I’m planning a few posts on common legal questions like this, hopefully over the winter break.

4 Likes