New West Yorkshire member šŸ˜Š

Hi everyone. I thought it best to introduce myself as a VERYnew drone flyer. I only started a couple of weeks ago and only had a chance to fly the once due to bad weather and work commitments. But having said that Iā€™m hooked. I live in Calderdale West Yorkshire so the surrounding country side is ideal for aerial photography. I have a shiny new Mavic Air which should take some awesome aerial shots. I have already had some good feed back from some of the Grey Arrow community and hope to meet a few more.

4 Likes

Hi Baz / @Beejay , and welcome to GADC. :+1:

A significant number of our members also own the Mavic Air ā€¦ so you are amongst good company.

If you havenā€™t already, take a look at the Map of Members and youā€™ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the woods, some of whom Iā€™m sure will come and say Hi.

(Donā€™t forget to add yourself to that map :+1: : How to add yourself to the Members Map )

The forumā€™s search functions are a very efficient way to find previous threads and posts that might already have covered topics in which you are interested in learning more or answer that niggling question but, when this doesnā€™t turn up what youā€™re after, thereā€™s a wealth of knowledge amongst the members, so ask away over on #questions-and-answers.

Also, if youā€™ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past ā€¦ which, obviously, doesnā€™t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everythingā€™s OK before flying at any of them.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ .

Welcome aboard!

Hi guys
Tried to add my location to your map but it wonā€™t drop a pin? Any suggestions. Followed the instructions too.

1 Like

Did you click the ā€œSave Changesā€ right at the bottom of the profile page?

welcomeā€¦ due to work, dark nights and this lovely weather I have flown 4 times in 6 weeks!

Sure did fella :+1:

1 Like

Done it for you ā€¦ as Calderdale?
Let me know if you want it more accurately located and are unable to change it.

If you could put on Brighouse that would be great. Cheers Ozone

1 Like

Done!

Many thanks. Your a star :grin:

Hi THere and thanks for the welcome, much appreciated. Iknow the Warley and Hebden areas pretty well as i used to live around those areas. Just waiting for this weather to calm down so i can get some serious practise. I have only flown once but got hoocked. No doubt we will speak again but at the moment i am at work. Thanks again

1 Like

Hi @Beejay and welcome from another Yorkshire newbie, waiting for the wind to drop so I can test my ā€˜refreshedā€™ Mavic Pro Platinum!

Hi Rib71, thanks for the welcome. You can call me Baz, every one else does, apart from my wifešŸ˜–. Anyways itā€™s good to meet other drone flyers and know itā€™s a not so bad hobby after all. There seems to be a dislike to drones ever since the media reported the airport near misses. Only idiots do things like that and I donā€™t put myself in that category. Very much a novice at this sport/ hobby so I need all the help I can get. Iā€™m hooked and thatā€™s a good thing.

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s great round those parts. The Maypole isnā€™t the pub it used to be. Used to get loads of rugby guys in and cricket clubs in the summer. I used to live in Luddenden Foot over looking the valley. But yeah I do miss that area since we moved. Iā€™m looking forward to another visit Down there in the summer and try and get some good aerial shots with my Mavic Air. Roll on summer

1 Like

I know the feeling, it is addictive and Iā€™m lucky enough to have a place to practice, just need some better weather now!

1 Like

My son works and lives in Dubai so he uses the desert to fly his drone. Miles of space but a bit same old. He used to be a deep sea ROV pilot so flying drone came easy to him.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think they are difficult to fly, just difficult to get the right shots, but editing can make up for some of that!

Yeah Iā€™ve watched a few clips on YouTube before I got my drone and some of the stuff is awesome. I think the kit I have will serve me well for now until I get used to everything. Have you used the preloaded quick shots in the Go4 app? The drone can track objects and stuff, it looks great

1 Like

Yes the tracking is good although when I tried it on the moors tracking a polaris the wind must have been in the wrong direction and it couldnā€™t keep up! :rocket: I then got carried away and crashed into the only tree in the area :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Ooops!!! I would think your pocket was damaged too. Iā€™ll have to get used to the basics first before I use the bells and whistles. Iā€™ve heard that iPhones (Which I use) are a bit hit and miss with GPS, iPad too are the same apparently but Iā€™m going to try a gadget that Garmin have that connects to an iPad/IPhone via Bluetooth and it gives a perfect GPS signal. Itā€™s a Garmin GLO. Heard of it?