Newbie advice sought

I write this as a novice. Still waiting for a lesson(s) from my Nephew, and experienced Drone pilot , and Adult Officer with the RAF ACF . I’ve seen videos to support both views that a) a good pilot learns to fly without technological aids, avoidance sensors etc. Alternatively b) that modern high spec drones are very easy to fly. My own uninformed view is that , one wouldn’t hesitate to put a child on a balance bike with no pedals that they can push along with their feet, while doing so with relative ease and the safety of ground contact, or by putting them on a conventional bike fitted with stabilisers until they learn the rudiments of balance, steering etc.

They say that Helicopter pilots suffer from over confidence in their progression along the road of experience…

What are your views in relation to those views and that analogy being applied to Drone flying, and if it does apply, is it a correlating direction of travel to that of turning on sports mode and, by default, turning off the sensors?

Hi. Drones come in 2 distinct flavours. The first is the ones you use primarily for video or photography - the DJI Mavics, Inspire etc. The other are FPV Racing/Freestyle drones (I prefer the use of the term “Quadcopters” or “Quads”). These are often self-built and are used for racing or freestyle acrobatics around obstacles at high speed. They don’t have avoidance sensors, automatic takeoff, often don’t have GPS and crash a lot - I mean a lot!. I own both types.

If I want smooth videos or photographs I use my DJI Mavic. I use all the electronic aids I need because I need to concentrate on getting the video or photo I want - why wouldn’t I use them?. Yes I’ll switch off the sensors but only when I need to fly close to something temporarily. The skill is knowing how to use the aids to your advantage and making sure you safely get the drone back in one piece.

FPV quads on the other hand are all about flying on your wits. No aids, no self-levelling, no return to home, dodgy video transmission. You generally always fly in “Acro” mode which mean that taking your thumbs off the sticks will always end in a crash immediately. But they’re fast and can be fun once you climb the extremely steep learning curve which you only do by crashing a lot (although I would strongly suggest using a simulator on a PC first e.g. Liftoff).

So it all depends on what you drone’s intended use is. You will never be able to fly a DJI drone as a racer/freestyle drone - even if you put it in Sport Mode. Sport Mode is slightly more fun but you’ll never use if for video or photography. Hence get to know what the DJI drones can do and use all the electronic wizardry you your advantage.

1 Like

Hi, I learned to fly with a mavic mini ( no sensors ) my experience is modern drones from DJI are very easy to fly and I spent hours just flying around the field practicing and getting more used to the controls, never used sport mode unless it’s windy , I did the CofC with one of the very kind members Examiners from here who also help me as my mentor getting me flying , I found the practical taught me loads and improved my confidence while flying . Learn to walk before you try to run . If I had sensors I wouldn’t turn them off , why would you? All these aids on modern drones are there to help and I take all the help I can get. I spent years over thinking it and never got flying but with the help and advise of a local member on here I bought the mini and now fly all I can and I love it , each flight brings more confidence.

3 Likes

Just as a ps the CofC I took was the FVPUK one and I got my insurance with them too , I found this very useful as someone new to flying and would highly recommend it .

1 Like

While I think it would be great to slalom through trees, chasing someone on a BMX, or ducking and diving, showing what a drone can do. I reckon I will stick to ‘thinking it would be great’.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I’ve bought a Mavic 2 Pro, and Smart Controller. Not flown it yet I’m a keen photographer and Fujifilm addict. I want to get the best stills and video I can, but your analogy is very helpful in informing my thoughts. I have of course made a significant investment, straight off, but I’ve got a £50 drone coming from Amazon, with which to learn the basics. No idea what it will be like for that kind of money, someone recommended that strategy on another group, and it seems to make sense. It has levelling, auto altitude setting? headless and and a 720p Camera, so it’s going to help me learn some basics without the inevitable Pratt falls costing an arm and a leg in the process. Thanks again, David .

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I’ve bought a Mavic 2 Pro, and Smart Controller. Not flown it yet I’m a keen photographer and Fujifilm addict. I want to get the best stills and video I can, so having people with the experiences and the altruism is very much valued I am of the view, that if you’ve got sensors why, as you say would you not use them. An Airline pilot isn’t going to turn off aids that make the flight safer . I have of course made a significant investment, straight off, but I’ve got a £50 drone coming from Amazon, with which to learn the basics. No idea what it will be like for that kind of money, someone recommended that strategy on another group, and it seems to make sense. It has levelling, auto altitude setting? headless and and a 720p Camera, so it’s going to help me learn some basics without the inevitable Pratt falls costing an arm and a leg in the process. Thanks again, David .

Thanks for your response. I’ve bought a Mavic 2 Pro, and Smart Controller. Not flown it yet I’m a keen photographer and Fujifilm addict. I want to get the best stills and video I can, but your take on using what you are given to enable you fly more safely fits with my Risk Management mentality. I have of course made a significant investment, straight off, but I’ve got a £50 drone coming from Amazon, with which to learn the basics. No idea what it will be like for that kind of money, someone recommended that strategy on another group, and it seems to make sense. It has levelling, auto altitude setting? headless and and a 720p Camera, so it’s going to help me learn some basics without the inevitable Pratt falls costing an arm and a leg in the process. Clearly video and stills are the main aim. So assisted flight is, as I see it is essential. Thanks again, David .

1 Like

This was useful info for me as a newcomer, if a little bit intimidating in content!

I was in a similar position with a toy drone but to be honest I taught me nothing and in fact it just made matters worse. I’ve been lucky enough to have a couple of flights with a M2pro like all dji mavics they are easy to fly nothing like any toy just solid easy control and if all looks like it might go wrong just let go of the sticks and its stops dead there and awaits your next command.

1 Like

Never underestimate my personal ability to cock it up​:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. If you are right, and I’m not saying you are not, then I have a great nephew aged 2 who will no doubt be able to show me how it’s done.:joy:

1 Like

You will be fine just get out there and fly , have you got any apps to help ? I use NATS Drone assist , UAV Forecast , Airdata UAV , Airdata HD Sync and Flightradar24 all very helpful and recommend and take a look at FPVUK if you join them for about £20 you get the public liability insurance . I found forgetting about the camera and video to start with and concentrating on control and flying first helped although I always have the video on . Get out there and fly and have fun .

There will be no comparison because the DJI can fly itself but the other will most probably rely on your skills.

No amount of electickery, airtificial intelligence, rise of the robots, technology will assist you when circumstances beyond your control rise up against you. In fact in some circumstances these technologies can be more of a hinderance than a help.

Example: A recent post on the forum described a situation whereby a pilots drone had decided it had flown into strong magnetic interference and thus disabled the compass and GPS positioning, reverting to what is often referred to as ATTI or Attitude mode (simple altitude and self levelling). The conditions at ground level were breezy but wind speeds generally increase as altitude is increased and the pilot had to fight to get the craft down which resulted in a fairly hard landing and the loss of a rotor/prop.

Rather than being magnetic interference, the cause of the error may have been a strong gust causing the craft to momentarily yaw, without input, at a rate higher than the flight controller tolerances allow for so it defaulted to “Magnetic Interference” reportIng and switched to ATTI.

In such a situation I would say it is essential the pilot should be comfortable flying without electronic assistance so as not to be the cause of damage to persons or property out of their control, especially if the craft is on the largish/heavy side.

I don’t blame the pilots for such situations but rather the over confident claims manufacturers make with regard to their products. Rather than insinuating that such products damn near fly themselves they should just admit that all these sensors are merely an aid to flying and stress it is the pilots responsibility to learn to fly without the false security of an ill perceived safety net.

That’s my received Christmas Card expectancy exponentially reduced for this year.

Nidge.

3 Likes