Newbie from Salisbury Wiltshire

Good afternoon.

Quick intro about me. My nickname since 1980 has been ‘Chann’, not a china man, it is an abbreviation of my surname that has kind of stuck with me over the years…

I have been into aviation since I was a child in the late 70’s. Joined the Army in the 80’s (hence the nick name) and worked with Army helicopters for 23 years. Having caught the flying bug, I completed the Private Pilots Course in the early 90’s at Old Sarum in Wiltshire and hold a PPL.

As flying light aircraft exceeded my budget, I moved on to build and fly model RC aeroplanes, passing a few tests with my local club.

Life moved along and got in the way during the 2000’s as I left the Army and started my civilian career.

Today I teach Army pilots how to operate the Apache Attack helicopter on board systems at Middle Wallop. The aviation theme has never left me :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Last year I was bought a Hubsan 502S for a bit of fun and I have used it on and off, but having now also got myself hooked into the photography bug I am looking to move up and get a better drone with a decent camera.

The Mavic Air is the drone I intend to purchase this weekend, having spent time umming and arring over the Air and the Anafi. Hopefully I have chosen well.

So that’s me, in a nutshell. I do have a few newbie questions, that I really should google - but hoping that you expert knowledge and experience will provide much better results. .

1. Is there a club local to Salisbury?
  2. Insurance - I will no doubt need some, all advice welcome.

Looking forward to catching up and staying in touch as this new line of my aviation adventure begins.

Chann

Hi Leslie / @Chann , and welcome to GADC.

We have a few Hubsan owners - so you’re not alone.:+1:

Local “Drone clubs” are pretty much a non-existent item, although some RC Aircraft clubs either have some drone flyers or permit them to use their fields at some time.

The main reason drone clubs don’t exist is that most people have modern drones for the purpose of taking photos/video … and a single site would soon become rather boring for this purpose.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll get an idea if there are other members in your neck of the wood.

I’m not far away, Southampton (Airport) … and there are a few people in the area hoping (weather permitting) to get together on Sat 23rd near Romsey. Check Hampshire meet - Saturday 23rd February 2019 if you wished to come along.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Hi Dave @OzoneVibe

Many thanks for the info, fully appreciate why clubs do not exist per say for drones.

I think I am available on the 23rd and will have (fingers crossed) my Mavic air by then too.

Chann

That would be good.

If you think you will be able to make it, as per that thread, PM the guy organising (@Longstride), so that he can you to the list.

It’s on a large private estate, so it should be a fun location and devoid of people/roads/structures to be given wide berths.

Perfect! A great way for me to get started.

I have sent a PM to @Longstride

Thanks again.

Chann

Apart from you lot and trees and cars

Welcome Chann i don’t think theres anything about fly you need to ask but I’m sure drone related someone is able to help we all have them senior moments now what was i doing…

Welcome Chann, you can’t go far wrong with the Air mate.
As for insurance, a lot of us have £5m public liability at a cost of £20, FPVUK Although not strictly a requirement but for the price you never know when it might be worth it.

Hello and welcome @Chann

Thank you

Hi Chann from one of the residents of GADC,
Pull up a chair, crack a beer, and chat with like minded old farts like me.
We don’t profess to know everything, but, we can advise on most things to do with drones.
You will find a lot of knowledge and experience here among our members.
A big welcome from one of the boys !!

split this topic #12

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Random off-topic stuff

Welcome @Chann from a fellow Mavic Air flyer, you won’t be disappointed. I am going to the Hampshire meet up so hopefully get a chance to meet up there.

Hi Chann, welcome to the club. I’m a very recent member with a Mavic Air and I can thoroughly recommend it, I love it.
I looked at insurance too and decided to get the DJI refresh package along with 3rd party from FPVUK.
You’re in good hands here, lots of very knowledgeable people.

Hi Chann and welcome.

You’ve got a very photogenic county to fly around in with some wonderfully historic locations. Have fun exploring, and please show us the footage.