No confidence

I’m on holiday in Scotland and at the back of the cottage is a quarry which I would love to fly my drone over. It’s about 400m away and the top of it is about 80m from where I would take off from. Since I have only had my Mavic about 4 weeks I still don’t have the confidence to fly it that far in case something goes wrong. The quarry is fenced off with no entry signs so I have more or less talked myself out of it. I’m I being daft or should I just go for it?

Being daft.

Go for it

3 Likes

Have you ever tried using RTH?
If not … in a nice open space over a short distance (50m or so)… try using it and getting confidence in it bringing your MP home.
Remember you can cancel it at any time. It’s both a tad spooky and pretty awesome seeing your MP flying without your input.
Get to know the settings for it.
Once you have this confidence, you’ll find that pushing the range is less of a worry.

2 Likes

No you’re not being daft after all you are the pilot in charge and it’s up to you and your skill and knowledge to make sure the flight can be made safely.
Take your time to learn flying and build up your confidence, am sure you will find somewhere worth flying one of these days.

5 Likes

Confirmed! Never do what you’re not comfortable doing. :+1:

4 Likes

Totally agree with @Njoro and @OzoneVibe

3 Likes

Great advice!

3 Likes

Being daft and being cautious are two totally different things.
Make sure you have a solid gps lock, make sure your compass is calibrated.
Make sure there are no pylons or telegraph wires.
Make sure your batteries are charged.
Other than that, go for it. But go for it at a pace YOU feel comfortable with.

3 Likes

We all go through this phase I’m sure.
For me, keeping my drone in my line of sight at all times is difficult. When I’m in an area where I am able , I won’t hesitate to push the drone out and trust the technology to bring it back.

4 Likes

I know how you feel, in the same boat as by the Norfolk Broads a lot, and some great spans of water, yet to take the Mavic Air over them, but must agree that flying where you can’t get to is the biggest worry is something goes wrong

3 Likes

I’ve used rth a couple of times just to make sure it worked which it did and like you say it’s a bit like will it won’t it.

1 Like

@GrahameRob
Ok looking at the photo you took of the quarry I can see some telegraph poles so set your return to home at 30 metres so it’s well above most obstacles other than that as everyone has said go at your own pace till your confident and comfortable with all the functions
If you ever want advice or help just ask we have all been there

Jeff

2 Likes

Get the bird in the air, make sure the camera is rolling, and take it as close as you feel comfortable with. When nothing is going wrong regarding interference or loss of signal or high winds then push yourself that little bit further. As someone on here once posted, trust in the technology.

I’ve bottled it on a number of occasions, being 2000ft away and wanted to go further but brought it back, and being 3000ft away over the sea and brought it back. There’s no shame in playing it safe :+1:

1 Like

With the price of our drones and the heart renching feeling when something goes wrong,defo not worth it.

Only do what you are comfortable with…

1 Like

Well it’s been windy and raining on and off all day so I didn’t attempt it. Will see what tomorrow brings :grimacing:

2 Likes

Probably more wind and rain :wink:

Wednesday has to be nice though.

Where are you staying?

Cockburnspath in the borders

1 Like

Other than a being a bit windy, weather looking dry at least, the next couple of days.

You’ll prob be fine then on the east coast.

Might get up early for sunrise and see what the winds like. The sun should light the quarry up nice in the morning golden hour.

3 Likes