Norfolk newbie

Hello all. Just bought my first drone (DJI Phantom 3 advanced), after being introduced to it by a mini drone bought as a present from my brother in law which got my attention. I’ve got my flyer and operator IDs and sorting out insurance so nearly ready for my first flight and wanting to find the best place to start. Of course I’m right on the edge of the Norwich Airport zone!?

3 Likes

Check out GADC DroneScene as to where you can fly.

Hi, welcome to GADC, always great to welcome another Norfolk based flyer. Check out drone scene and good2go to help find local areas of interest to you . Loads of friendly members here and I’m sure you will enjoy lots of fun.

1 Like

Thank you. I’d looked at that but there’s only 12 places listed for Norfolk, surely there must be more!?

1 Like

Thanks Scottydog :slight_smile: I’m getting the impression that it’s quite restricted where drones can be flown. I’m also wanting to use my drone professionally (yet more insurance £££!) to photograph sites (I’m an archaeologist) so flight heights would likely be less than 20 or 30m and with the permission of the landowner but it seems location (eg flight restriction zones) could be a problem.

Hi Chris.

I’m not too far from you, I am in Marham and right by the RAF base so flying near my house is a big no no. I have the Mavic Air 2 so even further restrictions due to its size.

For flying I say use the following as they pretty much cover everything you need:

Drone Scene site - add bookmark to phones Home Screen.

NATS Drone Assist

UAV Forecast

Pretty much every bit of help you need within those 3

2 Likes

FPVUK for third party insurance and I’m sure flock and cover drone do daily insurance for commercial insurance , if you want to work in built up areas there are lots of restrictions but there are qualifications you can take to help but your problem is not helped by having a big drone , something like a mini 2 gets past a lot of problems

1 Like

If you are not taking the shots for commercial gain ie getting paid you are fine with 3rd party

1 Like

Great apps , I also have Airdata for flight logs and flight data just the free version though

1 Like

Flight Logs looks good but you have got to do a lot of flying to warrant the cost… Weather here at the minute I’m not even attempting flying

Thanks Harsh and Scottydog :smile: Don’t think I’d looked properly at areas to fly, obviously a lot to learn. :crazy_face: Might be easier to get a long pole with a camera on top for site photos :rofl: But not as much fun :rofl:

1 Like

That’s why I use the free version of Airdata app you still get a rolling 100 flights , same here with the weather it’s crap but Sunday is looking like a maybe , hopefully it gets warmer, dryer and less windy soon lol

I’m sure most sites are ok if you research them , only if you are near airports or airfields or in built up areas but there is normally a way round it just getting the correct permissions

1 Like

Fingers crossed mate, I’ve just brought a few different filters for the Air 2 to try and also for the DJI Pocket 2. Literally every day the sun has been out and I’ve thought I will get out and then 10 minutes later it’s either raining, hailing or like a bloody tornado… Drove to Heacham beach the other day - 20 minutes drive and by the time I got there is was that windy I thought it would just end up with the drone in France

1 Like

Take a look at doing the A2CofC , I did it with UAVHUB great coarse and you learn a lot and you get lots of helpful access to resources to help.

1 Like

So big pole with a camera on top it is then :rofl: Yeah the weather’s been bad recently, got about a 10min window to do anything outdoors! Unfortunately I spend 8 hours a day in it! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Driving from fakenham towards kings lynn one night this week we had snow

1 Like

I dunno, pole with a camera could be fun… until you’re struck by lightening

Good old British weather! True about the pole, what about a fibreglass one? :thinking: Thanks for the tips, guess like anything there’s no easy fix. I’m only looking to photograph my own sites, not others on a commercial basis though could be an option depending on what qualifications I’d need…

1 Like

Fibreglass won’t help if it’s the tallest thing lol , I think the A2CofC would help you there is normally a sale on and when you are a full member of GADC you get a discount code , UAVHUB do a free trail as well

1 Like