North East Gods Country

It’s a bit far to go trekking on my own, wouldn’t even know where to start, I was thinking earlier actually about exploring etiquette, around here you’ve gotta be super switched on as to keeping to the footpaths otherwise you could end up with a seriously jarred off farmer coming over to find out what you’re playing at. Yet when I see these YouTube videos of landscape photographers they’re parking up and just jumping a gate and heading off up the side of a big hill/mountain.

It’s like ‘Where are the boundaries? Can you just come and go anywhere you please without knowing fully if you’re on someone’s territory?’ I’d not dare do that in my local area. There are some beautiful places in the early hours that I would love to just pull over on the side of the road and get stuck into checking out for an awesome composition, but I’m always ridiculously conscious that I’d be trapesing through Farmer Giles’ field and he won’t give a hoot if I’m setting up for the photo of the year or not. One of the reasons I like the convenience of drones, just sit on my door step and send it over some fields, but that does kind of limit you on what images you can take, quality etc.

In terms of wandering I always try and stick to footpaths or obvious access routes. I have been into farmer’s fields but only at the edge and always ensure I am respectful of what is there. So no wandering through crops growing for example.

I find the Ramblers site useful for walking but this is a starter on your rights or not.

However, I have always found that a good OS map helps to highlight footpaths, or at least, show where they should be. Of course these are now available digitally or there are websites like this one but it is in beta so expect changes and I note that locally it doesn’t have any of my footpaths. And of course, the original OS Maps are online / in an app and you can sign up for a sub.

3 Likes

Fantastic info/insight, I’ll get looking into a decent digi download this eve after work.

1 Like

I see my mavic pro in some of them photos, it’s definitely God’s country then. Haha

You,ll start them off again.lol

Yorkshire is the ONLY county to have it’s own Chewing Gum Retailer online.

Check the link @ Ebuygum.com :beers::beers::beers:

5 Likes

Bit flat

Yorkshire has the Rhubarb Triangle.

:microphone: drop…