Drones, betting and horse racing

Interesting the thing about drones & race meetings.

Makes me wonder if betting is involved, in which case there would be the cash for a top-of-the-range drone.

When I was a student, I did some work at an analytical lab, and discovered that the drug testing regime for race-horses is far more stringent (and much better funded) than that for human athletes due to the huge sums of money involved with betting. That was rather more than 25 years ago, betting has grown massively since then.

I still think the photo looks like it was taken after the bits were collected.

Re the camera costing more than the drone- on the M300 the standard visual camera is about the same price as the drone, but the thermal version costs rather more than the drone. Expensive mistake, either way.

GC

1 Like

Without a doubt, have a read of this, its big money

3 Likes

You can fit pretty much any camera to them.
A Red dsmc2 will cost you £18k before the lens.

1 Like

Ouch! And here’s me thinking the H2O2 looked like quite spendy… mind you I should know better, a colleague’s lad is into proper high-end videography (non-drone) and his kit is seriously spendy.

GC

Fascinating article Milkmanchris.

The mind boggles!

GC

1 Like

Yes they’ve got the latency down to around half a second so a big advantage over the TV coverage.
Absolutely massive ammounts of money involved.

Thanks for posting this update @eastsuffolkdrone. Let’s just hope the pilot is found, because if this is nefarious use of this drone, then it helps the Daily Mail readership in their bias against the rest of us who try to keep to the rules.

DM readers are most likely more sad that their betting tip subscription has been less reliable of late.

@Trickyhicky quite, find the pilot ASAP!

1 Like

Turns out they don’t have this kind of thing happening in America :man_shrugging:

1 Like

This is interesting. It’s public so you should be able to take a look if not, let me know and I’ll explain.

Just interested to hear if anyone has come across this before. It’s cunning and sly and probably illegal but…

I’ve commented on there as “Mark Rickman” let me know if what I’ve said is inaccurate.

Hi @KAM I’ve moved your post here, it covers the same thing , very interesting too.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks. Sorry. Assumed since it was new to me it wasn’t old news. Should have searched first.

M

1 Like

Ok, who has been having a tinkle and coming up trumps :+1:?

1 Like

You’re right about that, I was offered an M210 without the camera for £3k but the camera to go with it was going to be £6k
Prices are appx because I couldn’t afford it and was a few months back but you get the idea.

Latest on this, er, running story:

" The Gosforth Park venue said drones were flying from land it did not own.
"Northumbria Police said inquiries had been made but it had not identified any criminal offences.
“Patrols are being carried out to spot people breaking lockdown laws, although it added that flying drones around the racecourse was not illegal and did not infringe on Newcastle Airport’s flight restriction zone.”

I don’t understand how the racecourses can complain that punters are trying to get an advantage by viewing the race live!!! Why are the gaming commission not pulling them up on deliberately delaying ‘live’ broadcasts!!

1 Like

I don’t quite understand how this gives an advantage anyways? What’s the difference to actually being at the track watching live through your own eyes? :man_shrugging:

Its all to do with inrunning betting where bets are placed while the race is on. The view from the drone is streamed live to members of the syndicates. The time lapse from the drone is a few seconds less than the time on TV so the syndicate members have an advantage.
Yes they originally had spotters with binoculars at the race track but the drones get a much better view.
As already seen it’s not illegal athough the course owners would like to see it stopped. Provided the drone operator has the relevant qualifications and permissions for take off/land and they don’t fly over crowds it’s difficult to see how it could be stopped. Biggest problem I can see is the drones hitting each other. I guess the operators would argue it’s work so they are allowed to travel during lockdowns.

3 Likes