Out of practice

So, I have changed my job and now work close to home , so I have said goodbye to working away for a while.
I was working extremely long hours so never got chance to fly much.
when I got home at weekends I had family stuff to do so my pleasures were fairly limited so never got to put Sputnik up into the air much.
so I am home and you would think, hurrah, think of all the spare time I now have, but no you would be quite wrong on that.
we are building an extension so my relaxation time is plaster boarding and stud walling and floor boarding and stuff.
Anyway enough waffling on about that.
I am taking my air dog out to the coast tonight.
I have wanted to fly over water ever since I saw the videos of the drone chasing the ship on youtoob.
I went to Lytham last year but it was a no fly zone as it is so close to BAe Warton, what a doofus I am, I should have known that so never got to fly that day.
so tonight I am out at the coast, and my question is , is there anything I should know / do for flying over water as I want the bugger to come back to papa.

so as the title says I am out of practice

“Bit tongue in cheek” Don’t land in the water as it immediately becomes a submarine.
The sensors get confused by water so be careful and just enjoy your new found time…:+1:

1 Like

Ha! I think that same video is exactly what got me in to drones too :rofl:

1 Like

It fascinates me that you can send a flying camera 2m out to sea and then bring it back home

1 Like

Nice to see you again Paul !,
Enjoy your flights over water, with no worries.
I flew my Mavic 2 Pro several times in areas where retrieval would have been impossible, when on my Cruise a few weeks back.
I have to confess that flying over water is slightly bum twitching, but, it does become easier with more flights under your belt.
Also, most of the best shots of coastal areas are best taken from offshore, looking back towards land.
It does help having Flyicarus Insurance which covers loss over water, and flyaways, and does take a lot of the worry of something silly going wrong.
Get out there and blast the shoreline!.

Thanks Chris
its good to be back
I have sort of kept a watching brief on this forum but as I didn’t have much to contribute I just kept quiet.

Done some of that ….

That was using Litchi - but I have full signals all the way there and back (fewer WiFi APs in the middle of nowhere to dilute the signal quality) …

… so could easily done it using Go4, too.

2 Likes

Was that your Isle Of Wight round trip Dave?.

One of them, yup.

1 Like

I have got to get my head round Litchi, I keep saying it, but, must do it soon !.

Funnily, whilst that was Litchi, I’m hankering for the right conditions to do it again … but using Go4.

1 Like

The question is? which is best?.
or ,have you not used Go4?

Litchi for dead smooth video incorporating sideways/reverse/any angle along a dead straight path at a constant speed … Go4 for that “YEssssss!” on completion.

I use Litchi for missions, Go4 for 95% of everything else.

1 Like

Actually, after a first Litchi of 4 miles and 11 mins over the sea, there was a bit of a “Yes!” moment, anyway … but with Litchi doing its thing I could concentrate on monitoring signal strength etc.

1 Like

Think I will try a small flight around the Park first before I venture into a more adventurous flight !

I did plenty of that before doing anything of practical merit.
Low and slow so you can walk along with it.
Then higher. Then further.
Then start using VLM to give more complicated missions a quick once over.

1 Like

don’t take off closer than 10 metres to the water or somewhere the drone can land, iof it loses signal for whatever reason and is this close to take off it will just land, whatever is underneath it.

My wife was gutted she wasn’t filming when i ran into a deep rockpool in an attempt (failed) to stop it going in the water

2 Likes

:hot_face::skull::skull_and_crossbones::cry::cry::cry:

1 Like