Out testing new DJI RC, I liked it!

you cant say that on this site lol

Polarisers take out unwanted reflections. The sole purpose of an ND filter is to reduce the amount of light entering the lens. If you have ND filters that remove reflections, they will be ND/polarisers combined.

1 Like

Excellent photos.
love 'em

1 Like

Total twaddle. As @Drumsagard said, a slow shutter speed could, depending on how slow, increase the risk of camera shake and cause blurred images.

1 Like

camera shake ffs it on a drone, can you see any camera shake in any of the photos.
What it should say on the group page is ā€œ no snappers allowedā€.

A Neutral-Density Filter, or ND filters, reduces the amount of light that comes through the cameraā€™s lens.

The filters are like sunglasses and every filter is marked by a number. The higher the number, the bigger light reduction is. Which means less light comes to the sensor.

Under bright sunlight, an ND filter allows photographers more leeway in selecting an aperture and shutter speed by preventing overexposure. They are essential for all drone photography.

DJI for their drones: ND4, ND8, and ND16. The number associated with an ND filter indicates that how much light enters the lens in terms of a fraction.

• ND4 reduces light by 1/4. An ND4 filter can reduce 2 stops of light, allowing you to slow the shutter speed from 1/100s to 1/25s.
  • ND8 reduces light by 1/8. An ND8 filter can reduce 3 stops of light, allowing you to slow the shutter speed from 1/200s to 1/25s.
  • ND16 reduces light by 1/16. An ND16 filter can reduce 4 stops of light, allowing you to slow the shutter speed from 1/400s to 1/25s.

The ND as stated standard for neutral density which means that even though the light transmitted through the glass is less the colours are not affected and can be manipulated by colour correction as per normal.

Possible Effect of a Lower Shutter Speed

Drones like the Phantom 3 Pro and Inspire with the X3 camara have fixed aperture with Shutter Speed and ISO being the only variables available to get the best exposure. As drones fly high, this is increased because there is brighter light at higher altitudes.

If the light is too bright, camera increases shutter speed (less light comes to the sensor) and that way it compensates for the lack of ND filter.

With high shutter speeds a jello effect can become visible and this then creates a distorted image which does not look good.

The way to avoid this, is to use an ND (Neutral Density) filters on the camera. They reduce the light and that way camera doesnā€™t need to increase the shutter speed and you have more grace with the exposure level.

Perhaps you should read all the comments above John, the slow shutter speed/camera shake comment was in response to @Jobbie comment about more detail, not your images (apologies for hijacking your thread). But yes, slow the shutter speed down enough and you can still get camera shake even on a drone. Iā€™ve been very impressed with how slow you can actually go on a M2P but there comes a point where itā€™s too slow particularly if itā€™s windy.

yes but even in the camera world in this group it goes from one extreme to another, bringing camera shake into the convo when in the photos being shown there is none, i will say again in this group at time it can be very cut throat experts in (brackets) jump right in, in a very none helpful way. I am an Amateur i fly drones and take video and photos for fun, and show them in this group for fun , not for photography snobs to big themself up and rip into them, AND FUNNY ENOUGH its only seen in the photography side of this group, the video side is more of a level playing field.
END OF RANT

Drum I wasnā€™t having a go at you personally, you are and have been helpful.

Why so shouty ?

Iā€™m almost 61 yrs old donā€™t need to EXPLAIN

Congratulations and welcome to the internet

Re the jaybee rant that is more of an explanation.

From my own experience i think his comments on what a Nd is used for/needed is spot on and sums up the issue well.

Given the right circumstances, i use them. its having what you need with you so planning ahead that is needed, thatā€™s where i fail. so hit and hope to gets used most oftenā€¦
Everybody has their own experience and views of what works or doesnā€™t for them.
The main thing is enjoying what you do and achieve.

1 Like

Wasnt having a go at you either

Been using PCā€™s since pentium 2 days funny enough.

With a long exposure, of course you could get camera shake. Why do you think photographers put their cameras on a tripod (ffs)?

Btw, Iā€™m no expert, but Iā€™ve been interested in photography for well over 50 years. Iā€™ll share my knowledge (such as it is), to try to offer some guidance. If you know better, just ignore me and get on with it, but thereā€™s no need to make sarcastic or abusive comments because you donā€™t agree! Rant over!

Relative newcomer then.

No one was criticising you or your work, just the value of filters.

Please keep to the rules and keep it civilised,

https://greyarro.ws/faq#be-civil

1 Like

No surprise there then .rules go both ways mind as we have spoken before and your like a dug with a bone. Lol

P2 ā€¦
so you are a newbie.
it was Amstrad 464 for meā€¦ with twin floppiesā€¦ it was great back in 1986.

I didnā€™t think you were having a goā€¦ just saying it how it is.
psā€¦ I wish i was nearly 61 againā€¦ :frowning:

1 Like

Iā€™m still tabbing up hills .I agree with what you say .some in the group donā€™t post any of there work!!! Ever. Me I donā€™t give a hoot if itā€™s liked or not it get me out and I enjoy it . Been to great places with the drone .and some great places to fly my fav place is harris and lewis just stunning up there. Have flew my m2p there and mini 2 stunning footage .

1 Like