Parabolic range extenders

Do these range extenders work or is it a myth?

Why don’t you let us know after you’ve tried it :smiley:

5 Likes

Hoping to give them a try this afternoon :grin::grin::+1:

1 Like

From what I understand the transmitter signal tends to be more directional with these so you need more care in making sure the antennae can “see” the aircraft.

2 Likes

Cheers Mac noted :grin::+1:

I’ve seen the same thing done with baking foil. Mavic Air Signal Booster Hack

Yes they work but you have to make sure they are pointing directly at the aircraft or the signal will drop as macspite has mentioned.
You can fly plenty far enough without them though :wink:

2 Likes

Doesn’t make any difference at all in VLOS may make a difference going further but won’t be trying that, I like to see where my drone is lol

The ratio between wavelength and parabola size is small so gain is low and the beamwidth is quite wide. They do distort the radiation pattern but not in any real practical way. Using the Formula:

D being the diameter
Lambda the wavelength
k the efficiency of the antenna.

For this to provide the maximum performance the controllers antennas should be at the focal point of the parabola, but they are way off so I’m using 4cm (generous) as the diameter, and 90% for efficiency (again, generous)

On 2.4GHz, assuming the diameter of the parabolic is approximately 4cm and the efficiency of the antenna is 90%

The overall gain is -0.41dBi and beamwidth 218 degrees.

On 5.8GHz the numbers are a little more positive,

Gain = 7.2dBi and beamwidth is 90 degrees.

The gain figures an in relation to a theoretical istotropic radiator which a regular dipole antenna, as used on the DJI controllers, already has a 2.1dB advantage over the isotopic.

Regards

Nidge

3 Likes

Nice explanation m8 :clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes

well my drone finally arrived turns out it wasn’t damaged ups lost it anyway all good now set it up played about with it in the back garden just to get a ideal what it’s like. going for a proper flight this afternoon I bought it used and it came with a load of accessories one of them is called a range extender it fits over the antennas made by a company called hensych is it a gimmick or do they actually work.

I’m no expert I tried them last year if anything ( only for me ) can’t comment on anyone else’s experience made my signal worse , I think there rubbish , just my opinion

No.

Search on here for the word “parabolic” and you’ll find plenty of posts and videos.

If range becomes a problem, invest in a proper power amplified antenna setup or go the easier / cheaper route and use software mods to enable FCC mode (also search here, hundreds on threads on the subject).

Glad your drone arrived safely in the end :slight_smile:

1 Like

Worse than that they’re liable to increase the SWR of the transmitter, reducing the power actually transmitted and reflecting more of it back, shortening the lifespan of the control unit.

File under general ebay tat.

Yes they do work … but as parabolic antennas are ‘reflectors’, make sure you are always facing your drone as, if the drone goes behind you, it will reduce the signal from the drone.
Yagi antennas will also increase the signal (2.4Ghz for UK users) … though I do have some questions myself which I intend to put forward to members.

Please add them to one of the existing threads that we have on yagi antennas already :smiley: