Parrot disco for £299 anyone?

Cheers guys, just getting to grips with it at the minute and a bit of extra armor wpuld probably help an newbie

1 Like

Sooooooo!

My fixed-wing fliers!

This thread’s gone quiet recently, are you guys still using your Discos much these days??

I’ve not had it out in a few months mate.

Was waiting for the case I ordered from Amazon which apparently they can no longer get. £200 from 3rd party sellers, no chance!

Going to try get out with it at weekend if weather is ok.

Might have to leave it until next weekend. Looks like my usual spot is under a TFR for trump.

I saw videos of 4G mods and flights of 50 kl with video signal…that’s incredible stuff

Thanks Callum! Just when my wallet thought it had a chance to relax …

1 Like

Hello all, started at 1 am to read all the messages over this Disco and had a lot of fun anyone in 2020 flying this is it worth buying this and do modifications for long-range?
there are a couple of sales on eBay :grinning:

Really wan to try this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve had a Disco for a few years and I still enjoy it but I think the prices people are asking for used examples on eBay are optimistic compared to its final new price a few years ago.

It’s not what I’d call one of my frequent flyers as my fixed wing flying style is primarily LOS sport and 3D. However it’s nice to sit in a chair, lower the goggles, and just cruise the countryside.

When you say long range how far away do you want to go? On its standard setup I easily manage a 3mile radius but from my flying site I have an unobstructed RF horizon in all directions. It is possible to install a long range radio system; Crossfire, EZUHF, R9, or any other system with SBUS connectivity but you will loose many of the built in functions, and will have to actually fly it rather than relying on the electronic copilot. Some have performed the 4G mod which will extend the range by using mobile networks to send control signals and return video but this does introduce latency, the amount being dictated by the load on the mobile network.

You could look at some DIY options. As an example prior to obtaining my Disco I built a comparable system using a £50 Plug and Fly airframe and a 3DR APM flight controller (£30 with GPS, Power module, and telemetry radios) bought of eBay. The primary difference between the two systems is my DIY solution used Analog Video and not the pseudo HD WiFi video as on the Disco.

If you go the Disco route beware of a few things.

1. It was discontinued three years ago and as such there are very few, if any, new in the box examples out there.

2. Many used ones have had a hard life. The servos often get stripped, many will have had nose landings compromising the camera. Damaged foam wings, broken wing joints, faulty airspeed sensors. If the airspeed sensor is damaged or faulty the Disco will never take off as it relies on this to govern the motor. If no airspeed is registered the motor instantly shuts down.

3. Don’t pay over the odds. I would say £300 is the maximum I would pay for an absolute minter if I ever had to replace mine.

Nidge.

1 Like

Try joining the Disco group on Facebook as some very good examples come up for sale, some are mint.