Parrot disco for £299 anyone?

It looks like there is no way of connecting the Disco to the DJI RE via HDMI also the 5GHz starts at 51-5250.

The RE starts scanning from 56-589x so I’m thinking that at some point after a good play with the Disco I’ll have a look at the guts to shoehorn a 5.8 TX as a bypass.

Then get a Frsky XM or XM+ for my Taranis X9D Plus which in Sbus will enable a 3 position switch to activate all the Discos’ flight modes I think :satellite:

Will this work? Pointers please, Disco lovers!

I’m measuring for a 3D print, I fly in a sheep field which also means I have to take baby wipes with me for all my planes and Helis :sheep:

OMG brings back memories of when I used to be in a model heli club that flew in fields covered in cow pats. I had special flying shoes :joy:

1 Like

I once fell of one of those camping stools having forgotten there is no back…ehh the hair at the back of my head :guardswoman:t3:has never been so lash to this day. The baby wipes were a good idea.

2 Likes

I await with baited mirth! :grinning:

1 Like

@callum what have you done… all these GADC members now buying fixed wings :rofl:

You should have posted an affiliate link :smiley:

2 Likes

Well technically it is still a drone so all good :grinning:

Just hope it lives up to expectations, pressures on :flushed:

Well I’ve not even got mine yet and I’ve ordered a 3D printed belly pad, looking into 75 micron laminate to protect it. Also hear black duck tape is good. :grimacing:

1 Like

Complete with its own VHS recorder…class :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Is that what it is…:astonished:

Well I had my first flight today. The weather here hasn’t been good, raining all night and drizzle all morning. I drove to Beaulieu as the forecast there seemed a bit better, by the time I got there the rain had stopped but there was a lot of standing water and looking for a good landing site was a problem, I really didn’t want to flood my new disco on landing by splashing it through a big puddle. But I wasn’t prepared to go home without flying so decided to put up with inevitable scraping from landing on the tarmac. :scream:and scraped it is but the belly plate will cover it when it arrives next week. This was the only down side of my day.

It was a pretty miserable day for shooting video, cloudy and dull and it’s not too scenic up there but I will upload what I shot. I only flew for just over 6 minutes and didn’t want to fly again as each flight would mean more hard landings.

But the Disco performed admirably and I am very pleased with it. It has a large turning circle so it certainly needs a good amount of sky to fly. Really excited for having a longer duration flight very soon!

2 Likes

Yup, I’ll give you that, they do look good fun :+1:

Bloody fast too :smiley:

Congrats on the first flight Andy :smiley:

Can you fly these in the rain? Are they sealed?

1 Like

Well done there Andy and it’s still in one piece…

1 Like

Got mine charged, updated and ready to go.

Pretty cool how you can switch from drone camera to phone camera while wearing headset.

I’m now wondering best way to transport all the stuff. Prob need a holdall.
Parrot sell a case but at half the cost I paid for disco. No chance.

1 Like

I carried it in the box today and it was massively cumbersome. So I have ordered the case for £145 from Amazon, it’s well overpriced I agree!
Next is to find a way to add a neck strap to the controller. It really needs it.

Here’s today’s flight video

3 Likes

Awesome!

Travelled 5km and landed with 80% battery remaining.

Were you wearing goggles?

Was hoping the parrot bag might get reduced but not much chance as they are still making AG version.
I’d prob bite if it hit £100

Thanks for sharing the video @frogbmth - looks like fun :smiley:

Ideal location to fly too :slight_smile:

Sorry PS missed your point about flying in the rain, it isn’t sealed but I would fly in more than I would fly the mavic in, anybody else got any thoughts on it?

Callum I wasn’t wearing the goggles, just streaming the video to my phone on the controller mount. I will probably do this for a few flights before trying the goggles so that I am more comfortable with the drone.

I was thinking the same about the backpack, wondering if it would be sold off cheap I just decided that I am pretty worried about the wingtips breaking off in transit, they feel to me like the weak point. Hoping the bag will give them good protection.

This was really just a test out, I wasn’t even 100% sure I captured video but indeed it started recording on launch and stopped on landing all automatically. Really cool. Take off is a bit awkward reaching the middle button whilst chucking the thing, and the controller is a bit smooth and slippery to hold!

So do you just push the take off button, wait for full revs then throw into the wind? Read it ascends into loiter mode and circles waiting for your command.

Got the app on S8 to use the goggles and paid the £20 On iPad for the waypoints.

Got an option at start about WiFi country, picked USA so hopefully get FCC TX output.

App is really simple compared to go4. Even updating was a breeze.

Can’t wait to get out and fly it.

Few flights like yours then will try goggles then move on to waypoint flights.

Regarding the bag, all reviews I’ve read say it gives excellent protection and is much better quality than it probably needs to be.

Some pics of yours and your opinion when you get it would be appreciated

1 Like