Parrot disco for £299 anyone?

This thread has +160 posts in only 12 days. Fastest growing thread we’ve ever had!

You’ve definitely started something here @callum :smiley:

You really should have posted an Amazon Affiliate link too, you’d have made half ya money back by now lol :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t they just! I’m still resisting the urge :blush:

Welcome to Grey Arrows @mavic66 :+1:

1 Like

Give in Rich! Give into your cravings :joy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtEaR1JU-ps

Well took the disco out for its maiden flight this morning. Was bit to windy if I’m good honest. 20mph winds to be exact but I was gagging to get her up in the air. Handled the wind quite well but I wasn’t comfortable flying in it so i aborted .
Did notice It was slightly out of focus though😕.

2 Likes

I flew again this afternoon - bit windy but Disco handled it really well. In fact I found it easier to land with a bit of a head wind. Loving this bird. 6th flight and I have more confidence now I know what to expect and how she handles. Same location as last time, so wont post the video this time… met lots of members of the public, all interested, positive and not at all concerned about me being there.

As I was packing up the Disco, I met some guys climbing the hill to do some parascending exercises. I told them I was planning to fly the MP next and they said no problem, take some photos from the air for them. I flew 3 batteries and took some video and stills. Not much detail as I maintained a distance but have something for their scrapbook. So good to be having positive experiences again after my recent encounter with the spoilers.

Hope this weather holds for the weekend…

David.

2 Likes

Thanks for converting random members of the public - we need more people on side :+1:

Ashmav well done getting the maiden out of the way, sorry to hear about the focus - is it really bad, are you going to fix it or live with it?

Great story Davo, really good to hear abo positive interaction with the public. Top stuff.

1 Like

I’ve not had a chance to fly my replacement yet but have done some reading on the focus issue of my first.

It seems both bebop and the disco have same camera and both suffer focus problems in cold temperatures.

I’m seeing 10 deg C a lot from parrot reps and anything below it can degrade footage. 15c is supposed to be optimal.

But also watched flights in lower temperatures with great focus.

Temperature definitely does seem to be an issue looking at videos where it starts of crisp and changes over course of video.

If that is the case and my new one suffers it, will look into insulating the camera body and fitting some sort of UV filter over lens to create an Air gap.

Probably getting ahead of myself, just if there are focus problems I’d look at the weather before hacking it apart lol.

2 Likes

I need to add an extra hour into my flight plans, for chatting with and educating the public. I swear I could have sold 2 MPs today …

1 Like

LOL :rofl:

Seriously? How though…? (as in, I don’t understand :frowning: )

Well I know I can fix it but I to hear about the cold weather and with that wind it was pretty cold so I’m not going to miss with it yet. I need to get a few flights under my belt to get some confidence in flying it really. I went out again tonight with the disco and brought th Mavic with me just in case. Winds was still gusting so I ended up running 3 batteries through the Mavic. Love it!!

Yup I’m with you on that Callum. Good idea about insulating. I won’t be messing with mine until if been out with it a few times

My guess would be focus is set in a factory at 15C.

It’s not like the mavic where you can tap to focus, it’s set purely by distance from lens to sensor.

Not sure what the cameras body is made of, but if its susceptible to contraction it could throw the focus out if focal length changes slightly.

That’s just my theory

Ahhhh right, I see!

So in the app you can’t adjust the focus? It’s a fixed lens of some sorts?

Right, yes, makes sense now, thanks :slight_smile:

In which case, serious kudos to the first person that fits a Mavic gimbal and camera to their Disco :wink:

1 Like

Yep fixed lens which shod be factory set to infinity.

And beyond!!

Sorry, too many :wine_glass: this evening… :blush:

:joy:
Think your rubbing it in as you know I’m nightshift :rofl:

I could murder a drink about now lol.

I will wait until you guys have made the mod. so I can get some assistance. I am a bit kak-handed when it comes to stuff like this. Meanwhile I am going to have fun just perfecting my approaches and landing techniques - everything else is pretty simple. Take off is fully automated and loiter mode makes things very comfortable, but the landings require a high degree of judgement. I’d love to progress to aerobatics in full manual but I think that is a long way off.

David.