Permission to fly?

As you can see, it’s well out of the way. Ridge Farm is in class D airspace.

Thank you everyone for the great answers and advice :+1:

Ned

1 Like

I would not go to the CAA, as they will direct you to the airport. If you got o Drone safety | Gatwick Airport there is a map with the restrictions zone in there. On the webpage it says…

Get permission

It is illegal to fly any drone at any time within these restricted zones unless you have permission from air traffic control at the airport or, if air traffic control is not operational, from the airport itself.

To contact us about this, please email: drones@gatwickairport.com.

If you are outside the zone, and you have landowner permission, crack on. If you are inside the zone, email Gatwick at the above address to get permission. Airports are now getting more responsive to requests to fly and allow if you ask, if you fly without permission and you are detected someone will probably come knocking.

2 Likes

The CAA I’ve found are really really obliging, send them an email and I’m sure they will fire one back telling you to ‘fill yer boots’ although they put it in more official sounding words, but essentially the same meaning. Honest they are really a great bunch and they love to assist.

1 Like

Thanks for this. Is there a specific email address I should use?

If its in class D airspace can you not get something from Gatwick ATC ?

As already stated, how does one get permission for something that does not require permission?

Below 400ft we are already allowed to fly in Class D airspace.

Precisely. Class D isn’t a thing anymore for UAV. You only need worry about FRZ

2 Likes

Yep. So, if I understand correctly, Gatwick should respond saying ‘it’s fine, no permission required, adhere to drone code’ - and we’re good to go!

Ned

1 Like

Exactly. You know you’re ok this is just to appease the property owner so the Gatwick email is all you need. I would still let the local police know too as a courtesy. It just heads off any issues with the public. I find the more people you tell in advance the fewer issues you get and actually get way more responses from people interested in what you’re doing

2 Likes

Yes just type in CAA.co.uk into your browser and select enquiry. This leads you to a form you fill in, with your contact details and a section for you to type in your question. They are usually very quick replying

1 Like

Ok, email sent to drones@gatwickairport.com

Dear Sir / Madam,

I wish to undertake a drone flight at Ridge Farm, Rusper Rd, Capel, Dorking RH5 5HG for non-commercial photography using a Drone (DJI Mavic Mini) with a maximum take off weight of 257 grams. I will receive no consideration in cash or in kind for this flight.

I will be flying within a 1000 ft radius of 51° 7’34.02"N, 0°18’49.90"W at a maximum altitude of 400 ft. I will maintain VLOS at all times. The date of flight is yet to be decided.

As a recreational pilot I am registered as an operator with the CAA (OP-xxxxxxx). My Flyer ID is FLY-xxxxxx and I have recently passed the A2 CofC examination. As such I am familiar with and will be operating within the Drone Code and all applicable aviation and civil regulations.

I have checked the Flight Restriction Zone (FRZ) map for Gatwick Airport (Airfield restrictions - Dronesafe) and Ridge Farm is not in the FRZ. I am aware however that Ridge Farm is under Class D airspace.

Could you advise if any permissions are needed and, if so, do you require any further information? I have cc’d my contact at Ridge Farm on this email. If you could ‘reply all’ in response, it would be much appreciated.

Yours Faithfully,

I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks for everyone’s help in this respect, much appreciated! I owe you all a pint :grinning:

3 Likes

You can advance register on NATS. I did it for a sunrise shoot where there was also military flight restrictions in place (time specific 09:00 - 18:00) I was worried so advance ‘booked’ no problem at all as I was a 04:50 - 05:50 flight time.
Showing the NATS sight to someone give you clarity as they can see all relevant data :wink:

Flights logged via DroneScene are held in the same data resource as they are if created from the NATS UI, and will show identically in all apps/websites that display them. All such data is updated dynamically in all directions.

DroneScene, however, has far more relevant information for a drone pilot.

1 Like

As a matter of interest, why 257 grams for the Mini?

It’s been skinned and stickered.

1 Like

Ah, I thought it must be that or a nav light :+1:

1 Like

Indeed I was thinking lay people recognise ‘ National Air Traffic Services’ as more important than something saying ‘Drone’
Just my experience recently.

1 Like

So - as before - there’s nothing against creating it in DS and then show the other party in all apps/websites … NATS and all others.

That it was created on a website with “drone” in the name can’t be determined.

2 Likes

And the man at Gatwick says…

Thank you for your enquiry as the co-ordinates provided are outside of the 5KM restricted zone there is no requirement to seek permission from the airport authority to fly.

Really fast turnaround I must say.

So, nothing we didn’t know already, but still good to have official confirmation.

5 Likes

You’re well out of the way (3km from the RPZ?). They’re being a little silly. You could do a partial site assessment, and show that you have the ATC numbers to hand in case of a flyaway, explaining that you know what you’re doing in case of a flyaway. Remind that that you geofence the SUA to 500m and 400’ (you could even set that lower if that added assurance) and the drone also has RTH failsafe functions included. Maybe they had an experience of drones from a few years back when flyaways and the likes were more common? Certainly, LGW ATC is unlikely to be wanting to hear from you with a Mavic VLOS flight of a private property (unless your drone goes AWOL).

Did you say you had a PfCO? If so, show them your CAA credentials and maybe that will also help to reassure them? Good luck and we look forward to seeing the photos soon!

1 Like