PfCO night flying

Alex, just trying to clarify this with you.

You seem to be implying that you obtained your PfCO from Phantom. Although training providers now call these course ‘PfCO’ course, that’s not actually the case. These courses show that you have the knowledge and skills required by the CAA to fly in accordance with a PfCO. With the course qualification you can fly under a companies PfCO, as long as they add your name to their Operations Manual and are covered by their Insurance.

The reason we are all mentioning the Operations Manual is that is almost as important as you don’t get your Permission for Commercial Operations (PfCO) until the CAA have approved the manual and you’re insurance.

The course you did alone does not give you the ability to fly in accordance with a PfCO. The reason I am stressing this is that there was a guy from the South East who was on the site a few months back. He had his drone seized by the police as he and his colleague were flying in, what the police said, was a congested area and he thought he was going to be prosecuted. He had completed the course but had not had his Permission back from the CAA. I don’t think he ever came back to say what happened!

I am surprised that you are doing a night flight with Phantom as part of your PfCO work. The CAA removed the requirement for a pilot to have a night flight assessed last year and most courses don’t include it anymore. To get CAA Permission to have night flights added to your PfCO you just have the include the relevant section within your Operations Manual. As the guys explained above, this includes all the information about how you would run a night flight operation, which is quite extensive compared to a ‘hobby’ night flight. If you doing the night flight for your own experience then great, but I hope Phantom are not telling you that you have to pay to do it as part of the PfCO requirements?

Another warning about night flights, a lot of the standard Drone Public Liability insurance does not include night flights as standard. Night time is normally classed as 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise.

Hope this is of help

4 Likes

No I have my own PfCO

1 Like