The great big ‘What do you fly?’ Poll - 2017 Edition

I know!!

He’s got a problem, right? :rofl:

Great post though @GTMonster :+1:

Curious though…

What’s this? Looks like a light sensor for a Sequoia multi-spectral camera?

IMG_0654

It’s only a GPS attached to the OSD for coordinates and RTH (it’s not connected to FC). The plate under it is just a consealing mumetal shield as the GPS is sensitive to the 800mW FPV TX. Errr I mean 25mW TX… Oops.

It helps when I crash some distance off. I put the GPS coordinates as recorded by my goggles into my phone then go on the hunt.

This one has done some distance. I took it to Dubai a few years back for some freestyle fun. I’m not into racing.

1 Like

These pictures are just some of my 30 year fixation on RC stuff. I’ve got a ton of gliders elsewhere.

I have a couple of RC Micro helicopters and didn’t fly them for a couple of few years. Last Christmas I have decided to buy a drone and invested in a Spark combo just to get back into model flying again. Now a couple of months into drone flying and really love it.
Thinking of buying a Mavic Pro or Phantom 4 Pro to capture stunning images and videos when I have some surplus cash.

I’m flying the Mavic Air, loving it for the sweet spot between convenience and capabilities (for me).

Been flying a phantom 4 pro with my cousin for some years before this.

1 Like

I have got to blame my Son & Daughter who bought me a Syma X5C about 3 years ago for Christmas.
Being a keen Photographer, realised that there was another world “up there” so to speak.
Bought my first “Real” drone, a Phantom 2 Vision +, great first drone !, until DJI B**lls them up, with a Bum update !.
Did manage to repair mine myself with a flash update thingy,( being a Electrical Engineer helped!).
Then moved to a Phantom 3 Advanced, great drone, then bought a Phantom 4.
And when the Mavic Pro came out, “gotta have one” syndrome kicked in !!.
I have flown it all over the place, Norway, Spitsbergen, Bulgaria, Switzerland, Finland, great times !.
Just received a few weeks ago its baby brother
(spawned out of the P3A and the P4 having a bit of “naughty” in there cases)
Baby Mavic Air was born ! !.
Not flown much ,due to rubbish weather but, looking forward to the better summer weather to really “Air” its props.
The Future?, well who knows Phantom 5?, Mavic 2?, we’ll see !!!
Gotta save up again, shhhh ! (but, don’t tell the Wife!)

2 Likes

Impressive fleet :smiley:

I’m slightly envious :blush:

Just got a link to join the forum. Received my first ever drone two days ago - the Mavic Air. Took it for a spin in the park and it was absolute bliss. I’m into photography and have always admired the aerial photos I’ve seen. Looking forward to taking some bomb ass photos and shooting the shit with you guys!!!

Good on you mate. When you buy the next drone just make sure to give your friend’s/work address for delivery and similar colours as your collection so your wife wouldn’t notice :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

I think her eyesight must be going !,
she ain’t twigged yet !! He He.
Just finding it hard to hide them all round the house now !!!
Luckily, I build Flight Case Computers, which have the same type of cases.
So she thinks they are just my stock of Computers for Customers !!

1 Like

Mavic Air needs to added too the photo now !!

Are you not tempted to build a ground station in to a flight case?? Like the Titan Tactical? :wink:

already planning too PingSpike, just need to decide on the charging system that will fit inside.
Got to try and make it universal for all my drones, if I can !.
Reckon I can do it for frection of the price they are charging !!.
I am sure if I can fit a Full sized Component Computer into one, I can sure afford to waste a case on experimenting with the system, till I get it right !.
I have a good stock of Various SMA Connectors that I would need, even found a supplier for the Quick Release type they use on the Antennas.
Looking like my next Summer Project, will keep you posted !

1 Like

The case you see, was Mk1, I have since built some 50 of these over the last 3 years, each taking a day to assemble.
Luckily a friend of mine has a CNC Machine Shop, so now all the holes are pre-Machined ,Milled, Drilled in each case so all I have to do is assemble them.
Apologises for being off topic !!

If anybody needs a link to where I get my cases, here it is
(and a lot cheaper than majority of waterproof case suppliers !!)

http://cpc.farnell.com/c/tools-maintenance/storage/water-resistant-cases?brand=duratool

1 Like

Guys, can you add the Mavic Air to the poll? Or are you all a bit “Air-ist” :joy::joy:

@GTMonster
my first was a small syma then i stumbled upon a EHang gost drone wich looked like a good deal £160 in the box, alas major battery issue so back to the shop it went then bit the bullet and landed a Mavic pro wow is all i can say, a dream to fly

1 Like

Yes indeed :slight_smile:

@Londroner will be doing a new poll soon with more drone options (multiple choice too) :+1:

Best thing you can do with a syma is empty the shell and fit it out with a home build APM or Pixhawk. I had people confused by how good it was for weeks and no one could find one that did what mine would in the shops.