Precision landing on Mavic 2

i’m a M2P noob and expected a little more accurate return to home! friend said if it lands in same field then that should be good enough! I’ve been on youtube of course and it looks good (in US) seen no vids in the UK about this, is it our UK sh**y GPS? whats verdict on this? seen other posts regarding this and apparently it should be accurate even in UK, what am i not doing wrong?

Not tried it on M2P but my MP was spot on.

Few things, when you take off you need to climb vertically to 10m or above. It scans the take off area and remembers it.

If the ground is featureless like tarmac, grass etc it makes it harder to identify the take off area. Landing mat or even your drone bag few feet away can help.

2 Likes

Didn’t the Mavic 2 ship without precision landing? And they added it in a firmware update? :thinking:

Are you fully up to date @mrc123?

3 Likes

Yup - PL was added in a FW update
Mine lands within inches of takeoff point.
However, I wait until I have a minimum of 10 Sats locked before takeoff and I see that the Homepoint is set right where the M2 is - If I can’t get 10 sats or the Homepoint doesn’t match where it’s sitting on the ground I don’t takeoff :+1:

(How many times can I edit a reply in 1 minute? - :wink: )

1 Like

You sure you are waiting for the drone to acquire a decent lock on to it’s position.
The remote will say “The Home Point Has Been Updated” ,until this is heard you probably have not got a good enough GPS Fix.
If you try to take off before this, that could be where your problem could be.

1 Like

I wait for at least 10 Sats, the controller says home point updated. not sure if in correct place though! Reading through all posts, I am probably not waiting long enough though, my FW is up to date!

Im certainly not let it scan the area! with the 10m suggestion, that @callum mentioned, i’ll give this a go when next I have her up!

Think I need to be in a lot less of a rush to be in the air!!

Tried a landing pad but that made no difference!

thanks guys for your suggestions!!

1 Like

After you have started the motors, and took off, leave it to hover for say, 10 to 15 seconds, that should allow the home point to be set, and see how that works.

1 Like

Mine too. Its pretty accurate. :+1:

Sounds Advice :point_up_2:

1 Like

erm…‘Sound advice’ :point_up_2::grin:

1 Like

flying friday will give it a go thanks!!

1 Like

Looks good!! had her up today started her up hovered for about 5 mins did a short flight, it started to spot with rain! hit return to home! glad to say she came back within inches!! :grinning::grinning:

Would have liked to give it a few more tests but thats for next time, thanks again people!!!

2 Likes

there was a firmware update few days prior, may have been something to do with it, nothing about PL in the notes though