Propellor guards

Does it? I thought it only changes the height & distance limits.

Yes, that would surely be the best solution. I have vague idea that there was a link to one of these recently on this site, can anyone remember where ?

A couple of useful links.

I expect there are many manufacturers of these, for example:

I frequently fly indoors to practice. Definitely fit prop guards, takes a huge amount of stress away as no worries about props hitting anything. Downwash is noticeable, but I would think in a large building itā€™s going to negligible. Forgot about GPS, will be limited, if even found, never had a problem indoors with no GPS.

I would suggest flying in your house first to get an idea of downwash etc.

I donā€™t think they do one that can reach 120ft :slight_smile:

1 Like

Flew my mini 2 inside the winding house of an old coal mine that we are trying to restore, fitted properly guards switched to payload mode in the fly app, and had very little problems at all just a little drifting , bumped the wall once, no gps and surrounded by an enormous metal winding engine it flew fine and was very controllable so would thing the space you are going to fly in should be fairly easy, cheers Len

1 Like

why do you need to reach 120ft? With a pole and a reasonable zoom camera you can do wonders.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure youā€™ve looked into it already, but Iā€™d make sure your prop guards donā€™t weigh too much and take the Miniā€™s weight above the limit.

Which limit? :thinking:

Iā€™d guess heā€™s referring to the 250g restriction.

Does that even matter indoors ?

Yes, I was, @DeanoG60.

Ahh! You may be correct with the ā€˜indoorā€™ scenario!

If so, please accept my apologies, all!

1 Like

Iā€™d forgotten it was different indoors, sorry Rich.

Because the items (Gargoyles and Grotesques ) that I want to photograph are relatively small and located between 120 & 150 ft up the tower of the Cathedral. They are also not in direct line of sight which is a necessity when using a pole.
The images need to be of high quality and therefore need to be taken from a minimal distance.
For normal photography, I use a Canon 5D Mk4. The weight of the camera plus lens is far too much to be safely supported on a pole 120 ft up, even if they made one that long.
Thanks for your thoughts but this does not answer my question about downwash.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I have flown indoors previously with guards attached and like you did not experience any great difficulty controlling the drone as long as you make only minor corrections.

The only time Iā€™ve flown in a similar situation was inside an aircraft hanger (with two airliners in it!) shooting some video for the company that owned it. I chose to use my Phantom 4 as I wanted the collision avoidance sensors to avoid hitting anything! I disabled the GPS in case it got an unexpected lock and caused problems (donā€™t think thatā€™s an option on the Mini 2 though). I also did a fair bit of research on indoors flying on YouTube, which came up with a lot of useful information, such as reducing the control sensitivities on the sticks (again, I donā€™t think you can do that with the Mini 2 unfortunately). I ended up producing a page and a half checklist to run before doing the flight. I did a test run (with the owners present) in a smaller but more or less empty adjoining hanger to see if we were all happy with what was going to happen in the main hanger. That went well so we moved into the hanger with the aircraft and I flew around them very slowly a few times shooting the video. I used the two hanger managers as additiona lookouts to get different view angles and give warnings if it looked like I was getting too close to anything. Also checked if there were any heating vents that might cause problems with air flow. The only ā€˜interestingā€™ thing that came up during the flight (and Iā€™d seen this mentioned in one of the YouTube videos) was when I was flying at a low level over the hanger floor, bu twanting to pass over an aircraft wing. It all looked good visually, but the Phantomā€™s downward visual sensors started flying the aircraft upwards to maintain the same height over the wind that the aircraft had been over the floor. As I was aware of that possibility, it was easy to over-ride using the sticks. I must admit though that disturbing dust was one thing that had never entered my head! After the flying video is used my DJI Spark (before I had the Mini 2) just as a gimble, to do a walkthrough of the very resticted stores area attached tot he hanger. I gave the raw video to the company for editing and they apparently produced a very nice end product from it.

Thank you for your reply. Like you I have been in close consultation with all the relevant parties that are interested in the task. They are enthusiastic, but this is where the concern over the fire detection system vs dust came from, which is why I came here for advice. They are currently looking into disabling the system whilst the flight/s take place.

Like you, I intend to do a limited dummy run, inside the building with them present to assess the problems. Thank you for the benefit of your experience.

Youā€™re very welcome. Hopefully some information of use. Best wishes
for what sounds like a very interesting task!

Your question regarding downwash has been answered several times, whatever drone you use you will have propwash to one degree or another, i am just trying to suggest alternatives. finished here.

Thank you. I know my question has been answered. You continued to suggest a pole and I answered that also, with the reasons why it was not a viable proposition.
Thank you for your input. Any further replies that I receive will be thanked for courtesy.

I am not soliciting any further involvement by repeating my question.

2 Likes