Property pictures

Looking for some guidance.

I have an enquiry from a two property owners who are having a problem with a property situated between them which is unoccupied and in a state of disrepair.

Now the question is where do I stand legally photographing the empty house from the properties on either side?

I have my PfCO and intent to stay within the rules regarding height, etc. so that is not the issue. All comments and suggestions appreciated.

I certainly don’t think there’s anything legally to prevent you taking pictures of somebody else’s house so long as you aren’t causing a nuisance, harassing them or impinging on their privacy. Can’t see how any of them would apply to an abandoned property.

1 Like

Why can’t they take the pictures themselves?, out of their upper floor windows,or just hop over the fence, jobs a good un

That is also my feeling, but thought it worth asking the troops

Regards

Bill Miller

CAA registered drone pilot

They want to show the impact the dodgy roof could be a hazard as the empty property is two floors and the other properties are cottages

Regards

Bill Miller

I can’t see any problems with what you are proposing, you can also charge them if you so wish.

Payment has seen agreed, it is empty property images which will then be used to pursue the absentee landlord that I am quiering as technically I did not have permission to photograph this property

Regards

Bill Miller

Well I would have thought that as the property is in the public domain and unoccupied then you will be ok

maps.google.co.uk

2 Likes

The basic principle, in law, in photography is that so long as you take your photograph(s) from either a. public property or b. property where you have permission then there is no issues. In fact, it goes so far as allowing me to stand outside an occupied house on the pavement and take photos inside of it if I so wanted. BUT, there are likely other laws protecting that specific.

From a drone perspective so long as you take off / land from public property or one where you have permission (presumably either neighbour), and stick to the drone code then there can’t be a problem.

1 Like

This is what I was trying to get across, you can take photos of anyone in the street they may not like it but it is legal, if the people asking you to take the photos give you permission to take off from thier land then there is no issue, you could just take the pictures of the roof from one neighbours property and fly over that one front to back, land go to the other property and do the same, so you wouldn’t need to fly over the property you are worried about, personally I would not worry about it or you could check with a solicitor for your peace of mind.

Perfectly legal to take photographs in a public place, from height above anyone’s land, or from private property with permission. Sharing those photos may in some cases be an infringement of privacy rights, but that shouldn’t be the case here.

1 Like

That’s what I was working on this premise but thought I would see what others thought.

Flight will be in a week or so as the weather is not great

Regards
Bill Miller

2 Likes