Question about Airmap

Hi all. I’m going out to fly on Tuesday and I’ve just had a look at Airmap for the area. Please can anyone tell me what the dark blue shaded area is?

Yes, I have spotted the airport in the bottom right corner! :smiley:

OK, I’ve answered my own question. It’s a Special Use Airspace. I presume it’s military as its pretty huge. Can I fly in it? I might just clip the edge.

1 Like

FJA is fast jet area.

Might be worth a call to the Low level advisory line.

Cant see it being a problem given your flying right at the edge of it but better safe than sorry I suppose.

Thanks Callum, good idea, I will do that.

1 Like

I just called the Low Level Advisory Line and asked about flying on the edge of FJA South East. The first thing he said was “what’s an FJA?”.
Then he said I didn’t need special permission but that they would like to know where and when and I should call them to let them know. Can’t do it online evidently.
I don’t know how much notice they need, I can’t pin it down to an exact time. It depends on the weather and what’s for lunch, so many things.
Would it not get to them as a NOTAM if I filed a flight on Airmap?

1 Like

I think NOTAMs need even more notice to filter through the system to be of any use.

Used to help with firework displays … they needed 7 days notice for those … back then.

Thanks Dave. It seems more of a courtesy than an absolute requirement, as Callum said “better safe than sorry”. Those jets are very expensive :neutral_face:

It’s ironic that, with the right conditions, I could go paragliding in thermals up to 12,000 ft, and more … and don’t have to tell anyone.
I’ve had a pair of Italian Air Force jets fly beneath me … and never even saw them … I doubt they saw me either.
I was a good feeling when the doppler effect dropped their sound an octave, though. :rofl:

3 Likes

Wow, that must have been spectacular!

1 Like

Some great views from up there, for sure. I’ve been higher than Mt Blanc a couple of times whilst in its vicinity.
Currently following (online) the Red Bull X-Alps paraglider race that’s from the eastern end of the alps, all around their arc to Monaco.
Not the best conditions, this year, but they still manage plenty of this …

2 Likes

I don’t think you would need any.

From what I’ve read you just call them when you intend to fly and they will let you know if its suitable.

Don’t think you will have any problems
where you want to fly.

Wow!!!

As its right on the edge, I’ll give that a try. I’ll phone them an hour before and see what happens.

What could possibly go wrong? :crazy_face:

1 Like