Remote ID on the way for the UK

Turning off location services would help.

But DJI might not let you take off if you haven’t granted location services to the Fly app :man_facepalming:t2:

Drone hacks could make a fortune if they manage a work-around. … which I’d happily bet they would. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I am sure they are on it but as always it’s cat and mouse

What drone we talking about?

1 Like

I’m led to believe all DJI drones after the phantom series have R.I.D built in and ready to go ?

1 Like

No GPS in DJI restricts your altitude to 30M or something.
And it still sends the home location so you need to disable GPS on your phone and controller too.

1 Like

I’ve had my Mini 3 Pro up to 150m. Looks like sending it back then, just gotta be faulty :joy::joy::joy::joy:
Edit, just realised what you meant :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

what always annoys me in these tabloid articles ,is the way they use vocabulary like wild west in the sky ,does that mean there are hundreds of outlaws riding around up there creating mayhem
do they go round shooting up the neighborhood or robbing trains for gods sake
they just cant seem to help themselves portraying drone flyers in anything but a negative fashion

6 Likes

I’m looking to experiment with an old Mavic Pro…no GPS, phone or tablet only connected to the controller like in the olden days.

1 Like

But that age of Drone won’t and never will be compliance with RID

From what we can gather only the latest drones would have the capability through firmware updates

An external module would be needed to transmit RID data on the older drones

Just ignore it…most readers do.:blush::blush:

This transponder idea has been mulled over for some time…it had to happen sooner or later…The CAA wheels grind exceedingly slow…
…and for those interested…

2 Likes

Actual narrative states:
It is understood officials are working towards a deadline of April 1 2026 to get a remote ID system running in the UK. The plans are due to be announced in March this year.

Pffft…

Just adds more effort and cost on us who just want to enjoy the hobby… Like a terrorist is doing to use a DJI drone or whatever. Obviously I’ve never looked into shoving a grenade or bomb onto a drone and flying it into a crowd or whatever but I see self built ones (and even DJI ones), being used in the Ukraine/Russia to take out soldiers from the other side.

Surely any wanna be terrorist can just build a drone without the RID (though if like the US someone needs to be local to pickup the RID signal and locate the pilot), and then just FPV it to where they want, or just use an automated route planner to land a grenade or bomb into a football stadium or whatever it. Like a determined person can just fill a car with explosives or just drive through a crowd of people, like has actually happened. So this will not stop a determined terrorist, just hate the headlines and justification. And no won’t click on either the Torygraph or DM links to read the actual “stories”.

This RID is for what? What is safety point of it? Please justify… If it truly is to help Amazon, royal mail, etc to deliver stuff. Then yeah maybe I’d buy into it, but then say that’s what it’s for… If I could see a large delivery drone is flying on a path near where I’d like to fly and provide the systems to see this, then great! It’s like I’d avoid the A roads, or Motorways, etc… known paths (big large roads)… I avoid…

1 Like

You can.
You can also use spoof GPS apps (android).
Its one of the methods they use in Ukraine.

1 Like

FAA mandate is for add on modules for older drones.

Things like this:- Dronetag Mini · Dronetag

Highly expensive, bulky but required over the pond from September.

Developer Options > Mock Location > Enabled.

1 Like

On mine you need to enable mock location in Dev options but also nominate a mock location app on top of that to actually spoof.

Either way its trivial to do on Android. No idea about Apple but suspect not as its locked down.

1 Like

Though mock location… Im sure the DJI fly app will detect that (like pokemon go did), and how would RTH/operator work if you’re phone was “located” somewhere miles away. OK RTH could use the take off/landing point of drone (as it does now), but it’d be cool to RTH to operator if used base station/phone location. OK assume mock location does work you’d now have the operator miles from the drone and u’d be done for massive BVLOS, as the “Reg Number” be linked to you with proof you were no where near your drone when took off/landed…

TBH it’s still a stupid rule. Help us know if aircraft are using location for drone deliveries, etc… I think whatever the DJI FPV has to tell me a real plane is nearby is great, do something like that for additional safety if needs be, but this’ll just increase “confrontations”, and not make anything more “safe”

2 Likes

Which means in March 2026 they’ll start announcing the extension dates because it’s not ready yet.

DJI Fly (or Go4) doesn’t detect it.
But you can just revoke location services from Fly if you want it to show nothing/invalid. Loads and flies fine.

With both those options all you really lose is the compass view to help you orientate with the drone.

RTH by default uses the drone location of takeoff not the RC - you can set it to RC in the menu but its a manual change.

No chance of being done for BVLOS at all - they need to prove you were. A random location (which isnt legally required to be accurate at all) doesnt do that.