Remote Identification

Hello to everyone, I got into drones last December, well it was for my son and I just bought something from Amazon and it was ok to go to the park and have fun with the kids, I did not that much about rules for drones at the time, anyway after I understand we needed something better and after another two drones I got the Mavic Mini, now I got my FLY ID and PO ID. So Now its more me who is into drones. Now I have a question about this remote identification thing, I know you can write something about your flight and a name if you want to, ok. The question is: can this remote identification be turned off here in the UK?
How really works this remote identification? When just before taking off and I slide off to turn it off it does not seems it actually works, yeah because when I do go back on the settings those slide are again on. Who can see this remote identifications information’s, just CAA or anyone? Once you turn on the drone does it already broadcasting your ID and all? Do you need to be in the air to be seen or? I am asking this because I live too close to Heathrow Airport and even if I want to use it indoors it get the GPS signal and it needs to unlock the FRZ to just to turn it on. Thank you.

There is no remote identification. no one knows who/where you are (except DJI, unless you are in airplane mode then no one does, we think/hope).

The FRZ are hardcoded into the mini and (presently) cannot be removed, its something you have to live with I’m afraid if you live in one and fly a DJI Drone

1 Like

Anyone with a DJI AeroScope, or anyone with a laptop running kismet and a suitable WiFi card (tech details here).

Turning remote id off in your DJI app will not prevent detection by these two methods.

It will only prevent detection from people running DJI’s app that allows any random member of the public to see where you are (details here) :roll_eyes:

Yes.

Autel ftw, right? :wink:

1 Like

Hello PingSpike…thank you for answering. The thing is because I am by Heathrow and as I said even indoors get GPS, so to unlock the drone; I do say "Yes I got Permission to fly to unlock and get the Aircraft Unlocking Licenses; of course I have not Permission, (only once I got Authorized, time ago) its only to be able to turn it on indoors. Therefore my concern is I am going to have some trouble because they can see the drone is on in a FRZ and flying indoors and sometimes I have been in the garden? Thank you. Filippo

All of this, and let’s be honest, bollocks could be made so much simpler if the UK CAA adopted the NZ CAA’s “Shielded Operation” policy.

https://www.aviation.govt.nz/drones/your-drone-questions-answered/what-is-shielded-flight/

My location is a great example of how this can work. There are some areas in my town that could be great Flying locations if they weren’t in a NFZ. If the topography was relatively flat then the NFZ would be valid. However the area is 55m above sea level and 2 miles to the North of the airport runway which is 230m above sea level, a difference of about 185m. So for a drone user to become level with the runway they would have to fly 60m above the 120m maximum ceiling. By the time an aircraft taking off from the runway is over this area of the town it is already 1000m, or approximately 3000ft, above its take off height. From this it can plainly be seen that if a drone flown from this location and within the height limit, the pilot of the aircraft would have more pressing concerns if they suddenly found themselves on a collision course with said drone.

In response to the original poster we don’t have any restrictions to flying indoors, yet, but surprisingly some countries do, such as India. However if we adopted the shielded operation policy, as used in New Zealand, it’s obvious that life would be so much easier for all concerned.

Nidge.

1 Like