Reservoir Sunset, Glasgow

I was out yesterday evening trying to get some golden hour images with @stridingsandal, we were at the reservoirs at Barrhead on the south side of Glasgow.

14 Likes

Stunning :scream: bottom image in a canvas!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Cheers Steve :+1:t2:

1 Like

What settings have you got to capture these? ND? That sun looks amazing.

1 Like

It was shot on my M2P at 1/200 sec @f5.6, 100iso. No filters at all, I was concerned about too much flare, but the camera has handled it quite well. In Lightroom I took the highlights right down to -100 and lifted the shadows slightly, then adjusted contrast and colour.

2 Likes

Thanks John, one thing i never seem to adjust is my shutter. I only seem to play with the aperture and switch ND’s. Time to start playing more with the settings I think to achieve photos like this. :+1:

1 Like

I always try to keep my ISO as low as possible and adjust both my aperture and shutter speed to get the desired exposure. There is no real need to use ND’s in photography unless it’s very bright and you want to use a larger aperture or are going for a special effect (one of my favourite ND’s for my DSLR’s is a 10 stop ND). I tend to use my variable ND filter more for filming on my M2P.

1 Like

Great set - such rich colours :+1:t2: :+1:t2: :+1:t2:

1 Like

Love these! I’m finding myself wishing I had the Pro 2 for the extra settings :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks @Jhdee & @SirGunner :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I have only ever shot in auto mode and let the camera do its work, I will dial up or down on the iso but I seriously need to start messing with other settings to get results like those shown on the OP!

1 Like

By leaving your camera in Auto mode to do it’s work you are letting it come up with what it thinks is the correct exposure. This though, may not be the exposure that you want or looks good. Cameras are designed to see what is known as 18% Grey and considers this to be the correct exposure. For example I shoot a lot of weddings and if I was to point my camera in Auto at a bride in a white dress it would under expose making the white dress grey. For a groom in a black suit it would over expose, again making the suit grey. By shooting in manual and controlling my shutter speed/apertures/iso I control the camera to make sure I get the correct exposure. Modern cameras can do a very good job in Auto but can get it wrong. You may want to deliberately over or under expose for effect but in Auto the camera may not give you the exposure you are looking for.

Try keeping your ISO down for optimal quality and use your shutter speed & aperture combination to get your exposure. With a drone, the camera is pointing down so you don’t need to worry too much about depth of field. I often shoot with the lens wide open just so I can keep my shutter speed up.

3 Likes

loved your footage live not far from there

1 Like