Retirement

I knew an airine loader chap, who retired and haunted the airport wanting to resume work. He eventually committed suicide.
Appalling as it was I reckon he missed his old mates and friendship and fun so much and he had little to occupy him in retirement.
Think the old saying Never go back is really apt. BUT get a hobby and /or interest of sorts…

I retired about this time last year, at 56. Had been praying for redundancy for ages

Okay, it’s been a strange year, but it’s fantastic. And definitely not enough time to do everything.

It was probably superb timing - in today’s hyper-PC workplace I suspect I’d have been fired by now anyway

Last year was all about cycling and DIY projects I’d never had time to do - maybe this year I’ll actually use the MP!

1 Like

I jacked in my job in June 2017, had a trip to the Job Centre who told me I could retire there and then (I thought, strange, I’ve always been told that my retirement age was 66 (2018), but the nice lady said I could so I thought why not). 2 days later I get a phone call from an agency asking me if I’d like a job working with Degree apprentices, why not says I, it’s bloody good money, so I puts off my retiring plans for a while.
Twelve months later, my beloved one asks me if I’d heard anything from the pension people re my pension (66 by then). I phoned them and they told me I could have been taking my pension from when I was 65 (obviously been told the wrong info by the moron at the DWP years before), so I’d got my pension and my wages (drone money) coming in.
Another twelve months and I’d had enough of driving 110 miles a day to and from work, so I thought I’d retire again. Date set for end of September 2019, but best laid plans etc, and I had a phone call from another agency “would I like to do 4 months temporary work, it’s good money?”. Had a phone interview with the manager and acceted the job, I retired on Monday, had Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as retirement and started my new job on the next Monday, and still here now.
One day, I’ll have enough and that’ll be it, I only work three days a week, but even that’s becoming a bind now, so we’ll wait and see.
One day, Rodney, one day!

4 Likes