Rookie from Caister on Sea, Norfolk

Hi everyone,

Thought I’d introduce myself here. My name is Simon and although my hobby is ham radio, I have recently been trusted into drones by my wife who gave me one as a birthday gift. Got to say I was pleasantly surprised! Even if I seem better at flying it backwards. Thought I’d better join a forum and seek knowledge! My drone is an LBLA S5 Quadcopter.

Simon

Hi Simon / @Simon_T , and welcome to GADC.

You’re not the only LBLA S5 owner here - there are two of you. :wink: (pinging @Grajay ) … but you’re no less welcome for that.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members and you’ll see there are a few other members in your neck of the wood.

(Thanks for having added yourself to that map! :+1:

Ask away, over on #questions-and-answers, if you have any questions you need answering. Although model specific knowledge may be limited, they all have a large number of similarities that means someone can probably help.

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown in the past … which, obviously, doesn’t necessarily mean they are still OK to fly and, as always, any pilot needs to check that everything’s OK before flying at any of them.

Hi Simon and welcome!

Yes, there’s a fair number of GADC folks around this area, so you’re in good company. I think we all need a fly-in reasonably soon.

I made noises before Christmas about organising time for us all to get together over a beer or three. Since we are getting towards the end of February now, I’ll off my backside and get on with it.

Hi Simon
Was able to get down to the top end of Norfolk with @chrisjohnbakerover last summer beautiful neck of the woods , only issue I find is the national trust land and all the red tape what with the various airports etc

Oh welcome to this madhouse we call home
Enjoy

Hi Simon,
From a fellow Norfolk Flyer, as Russell has said you are among a good scattering of us around Norwich and Norfolk.
@Paul_M is around in your area of Caister, if you feel like a session at anytime, keep and eye on the Forum as we do have impromptu meet ups.
And of course a big welcome from everyone on here at GADC.

Hi Simon and welcome to GADC :wave:

Welcome Simon @Simon_T

Hello @Simon_T and welcome. As Chris has said, I am in Caister with a Mavic Air. I don’t know anything about your drone I’m afraid but if you want a meet up at the weekends then give me a shout.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I’m trying to keep this Saturday clear for some flight time. Does anyone have any ideas of somewhere local with plenty of space? I was thinking of Burgh Castle, but maybe there’s somewhere more suitable for a death defying maiden flight?

Strictly speaking you are not allowed to take off or land on Burgh Castle, says he who’s flown it :open_mouth: There is a small grassy area at the bottom of Second Avenue which is slightly away from the beach and people. It’s a good place for a first flight.

Hello and welcome.

Thanks Paul, looking at the Heritage website, probably a bad idea! Second Avenue sounds like an idea though, are you talking about the parking area down the bottom on the left?

End of the car park and along the path then up and over the embankment

Wear a carnation and have a copy of the times under your arm so you don’t stand out :grin:

Thanks!

Lol

@Simon_T I’m working in the morning so if you want to meet up I can be there about 11am

Yeah sounds like a plan!

Nice one, weather looks ok so I’ll see you there