RTF Competition 6h February to 19th - HEAVY METAL - Winners Announced!

RTF RULES

Scope

• The requirement is to submit an image, either a photo or video, to illustrate the subject of the competition.
• The subject for the competition running from 00:01 Sunday February 6th to 23:00 Saturday February 19th 2022 is HEAVY METAL
• The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open and obviously be taken by a drone in flight
• Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only (still) plus zoom and frame rate (video) There must be no removal or pasting of an object.
• Videos must be a maximum of 30 seconds and hosted on Vimeo or YouTube. Paste the url on a separate line in your post - this will allow the moderators to make a five second gif of a section of your video for entry into the poll.
• Competitors may enter as many images as they wish. Each must be in a separate post. If you do enter multiple images please try to illustrate the subject by markedly different images.
• Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:
◦ Location
◦ Time and date
◦ Aircraft/camera used

Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

• A valid. sensible and original Drone Scene entry for your image will gain two bonus votes when judging takes place - i.e. there must be no prior Drone Scene entry for the subject of your photograph. Please note the qualifier “sensible” in the previous sentence. Drone Scene entries should be of places and objects that other pilots may want to photograph, for example traffic islands or derelict barns may fall outwith that description!

Voting

• Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.
  • Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not. You may vote for all, some or none of the entries.
  • Any image that is correctly added to the Drone Scene map with details including the Drone Code compliant take-off and landing point will be awarded two bonus votes.
  • In the event of a tie a guest judge will decide the winner
  • The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

• The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members.
• The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 23.00 fourteen days later.
• Voting by poll will be open for a further two days until Monday 22:00
• The winner will be announced once the vote is closed and counted

Have Fun!

↓ dn ʎɐʍ sᴉɥʇ ↓
5 Likes

My Wallet :rofl:

1 Like

Does taking a photo of the birth place of black sabbath count? Entrants discretion and all that.

3 Likes

This rule is such a pain in the arse. This time of year it only give the 9 to 5 workers 4 days to get something taken and that’s weather permitting in February. If this was mid summer it wouldn’t be an issue coz I would be up at 4 in the morning flying.

Which bit are you objecting to?

The taking the picture during the currency of the competition is kind of implicit in the challenge title - Reason to Fly. It’s not the Reason to Have Flown Competition. The current Burns Month Challenge gives 9 to workers plenty of opportunity to both use existing images and to do something that doesn’t depend on daylight (or night flying)

The obviously taken by a drone in flight part is an attempt to get people to ascend more than six feet, a fashion that seems to have become the norm amongst Mini owners :slight_smile: Again it is kind of inferred tin the RTF acronym - Reason to FLY.

But we are very impressed and we salute you Gavin. Great to find that rare someone who reads the rules and that even rarer person who intends to abide by them :clap:

3 Likes

Just the amount of time given this time of year.

Maybe that mill in Oxfordshire off the debut album cover?

1 Like

I work 9-5 monday to friday and have managed to enter the last 3 competitions I missed one due to having covid (I missed the Windmill one, but if I didnt have covid I’d already got my flight planned)

As for the weather take a look at the breaking the speed limit thread unless its raining theres no reason not to fly these drones will handle a bit of wind no issues.

1 Like

Lost it’s appeal when Mr Tumble went there.

2 Likes

During the week, most of my flights are during lunch break :wink: That’s the beauty of the Mini 2, it’s so portable and quick to launch :+1:

1 Like

Grain Silos on Kings Lynn docks, Norfolk
Taken today 07/02/22 with a DJI Mini 2
Added to DroneScene Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - River Great Ouse, Kings Lynn - Rivers and Canals in East of England

11 Likes

Great perspective! :clap:

Not an entry - Just a suggestion if someone lives near this :wink:

1 Like

Cheers. It took a bit of head scratching as to where in a rural area will I find “Heavy Metal”
Just shows that no matter where you live there is always something about.

1 Like

Admission time.

When there is a contest closing the Saturday night can be slightly hectic. Ensure all the entries are copied to hard disk, ready to batch resize and convert to *.webp for fast loading. Check that all still images have been processed and the number matches the number of still images entered.

Make *.gifs of the YouTube / Vimeo video entries. Screengrab the kuuala images. Assemble into a poll . Then redo because of late entries.:frowning:

Also announce the new competition within a couple of minutes of the poll closing and the subject has been chosen. Obviously it’s already typeset, ready for the presses to roll - in three different editions due to the three possible subjects.

And last Saturday the potential subjects were - Agriculture, everyone has access to the country, right? - Waterfalls, well that may favour some but most can find a waterfall, even if it’s in the local garden centre - Heavy Metal, nah, no-one will pick that.

So only two fresh images were created for the subject illustrations. And fifty percent of you voted for the one subject we hadn’t prepared for.

Which is why the image at the head of this thread is the same tired image as the one introducing the poll :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lazy entry - flown from my back garden this morning - I even still had my slippers on :slight_smile:

Storage tanks at Thornton waste treatment plant, 09/02/22 around 11:30, DJI Mini 2

6 Likes

Reason to fly Entry Heavy Metal

Thought about the subject for a while .Heavy metal is a bit vague?.May be a long shot but i will give it a go. I can see nothing to indicate ships are not allowed. Ships are metal and very heavy

Offshore Supply ship Esvagt Havelock . Gross Weight 3830 tons Flag of Denmark
Service Operation Vessels (SOV)

A Service Operation Vessels (SOV) is a cost-efficient choice for windfarms far from shore. The SOV offers on-board workshop, spare parts storage, crane and accommodation and re-creation facilities. Advanced transfer of technicians and spare parts to the wind turbines are offered by ESVAGT Safe Transfer Boats or motion compensation walk-to-work gangway solutions.

Photograph taken 1407 hrs 9th February 2020 Grimsby Docks DJI Mini2

10 Likes

I’d say ships are definitely heavy metal :+1:

1 Like

We keep saying this - it’s a subject chosen by the members from a list supplied by the members. It will be judged by the members.

So it’s down to you guys to interpret the subject you have chosen. The rules are only there to give a framework to hang your pictures on without making the place look untidy.

If the others like your choice of image it will attract votes :slight_smile:

Thanks for that

1 Like