RTF Competition 9th to 22nd January - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

@macspite …hmm REPURPOSED :thinking:

1 Like

Good angles, I assume the back garden is still like a fly tip site?

1 Like

???

Repurposed? Possible subject for the next comp - or are you thinking that most of these mills are repurposed. So next comp should be easy - just go out and photograph the mills again :slight_smile:

Looks in a lot better condition now than it was when I was growing up in the area :+1:

1 Like

@Challenges_Committee …yeah just thinking if repurposed should be chosen Rob has a possible target to fall back on if all else fails :shushing_face:

1 Like

This one? John @john768 just added this :+1: Certainly a stunning example.

2 Likes

Ashton Windmill, near Wedmore. already on Dronescene so all i can add is that parking still available in lay-by next to windmill and landowners permission not needed at time of flight. photo taken on 9th January at around 11.30 in morning, on sunny day with slight wind.

10 Likes

Ashton Windmill, 2nd more conventional photo for comp lol…
windmill near Wedmore, easy parking and access and already on Dronescene
photo taken on 9th January at around 11.30 am, in sunshine with slight wind. DJI Mavic Air 2

7 Likes

RTF Windmills entry

Wrawby Windmill North Lincolnshire
Taken DJI Mini 2
Freezing cold morning 0754 12th January 2022

The mill is the last post mill in the north of England, and was built between 1760 and 1790 to serve the Elsham Hall estate. Originally it had four common sails, but through most of its working life had a more usual combination of twoand two [spring sails], providing power with flexibility. It was working until the 1940s, when it had four spring sails, before becoming derelict. Following a possibility of demolition it was acquired and restored in 1965 by Wrawby Windmill Preservation Society. Maintenance work in 2008, which returned the mill to mixed sail types, was funded by the SPAB Mill Repairs Fund and local residents.
Humberside airport zone very close to Windmill !!
Added to drone scene

10 Likes

RTF Windmills Entry

Heckington Windmill Lincolnshire

Taken DJI Mini 2 1106 12.01.2022

The only surviving working 8 sailed windmill

Originally built as a five-sailed windmill in 1830 by Edward Ingledew of Gainsborough for Michael Hare, the mill was worked for over 40 years by Sleighton and Joseph Nash until 1890, when a sudden tailwind destroyed the sails.

New owner John Pocklington introduced the eight-blade fantail, with the mill driving five pairs of stones and a circular saw, used to cut elm boards for coffins.

After Pocklington’s death in 1943, all work at the mill ceased, with the County Council buying up the building in 1953.

Extensive repair work was undertaken in 1969, with more restoration work taking place in 2004.

The tarred five storey 16.8m high tower, tapers from 8.53m (the widest in Lincolnshire) to 3.35m in internal diameter, measuring 9.75m at the base.

Entry on drone scene

12 Likes

North Pickenham Windfarm near Swaffham, Norfolk.
Suprised nobody else has posted wind turbines but around here us simple Norfolk people call them windmills :innocent:
Taken today 22/01/22 at approx 8.15 am with a dji mini 2.
Location added to dronscene. https://dronescene.co.uk/where-to-fly-drone/north-pickenham-windfarm/east-of-england/1666

14 Likes

You captured this just at the right moment , fabulous shot :star_struck:

Cheers. I opened bedroom curtains and knew today was perfect. Jumped straight into car and away. I wanted to do Cley next Sea windmill but alsas time is not on my side today!

Maybe because they’re not windmills? I could call my Peugeot a Porsche, but it wouldn’t be one. :wink: :innocent:

Great picture though. :+1:

1 Like

Ahem…I refer to an earlier post about wind turbines being allowed… :wink:

I would also call your Peugeot a car the same as I would a Porsche.

A windmill converts wind power into rotational energy by means of sails or blades. They’re as much of a windmill as those that churn out flour.

2 Likes

A windmill uses that energy to turn a mill, not a generator…

Controversial entry on the last day! :laughing: :laughing: :innocent:

I don’t/can’t get out much, I was so very tempted to buy a load of cheap pinwheels and do a circuit but then I re-read the blurby thingy and saw ‘sensible’ :smiley:

Edit: So what happens now (this is first comp). Is it closed now? Does it get locked? Does likes on the pics count as well as the poll? Is the poll posted in here or a new thread? I must be so annoying sorry.

Basically - watch this space.

A grim faced, humourless representative of the Challenge Committee will doubtless appear shortly :frowning: