RTF Competition - January 1st to 14th, 2023 - Still Water - Winners Announced!

@group-challenges

At time of publication there is just enough time left to thank everyone, spectator and participant alike, for their support in 2022 and to welcome you all to the first RTF competition of 2023. The votes have been counted; hanging chads and the spoilt papers discarded so we declare that your choice for this New Year is Still Water

And now for the part that everyone skips. You are advised to give the rules at least a cursory glance as these rules have changed somewhat for the 2023 season. Main changes - still images only, there is no longer a Drone Scene bonus and only one entry from each competitor to be judged. But read on - there may be more!

RTF RULES
Scope

The requirement is to submit a still image to illustrate the subject of the competition. The subject for the competition running from 00:01 Sunday, January 1st 2023 to 23:00 Saturday 14th January 2023 is Still Water

The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open and obviously be taken by a drone in flight - so somewhat higher than your eyeline please!

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only. There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

You can create as many images as you wish and submit the best in this thread. However, only one image will be accepted for judging. If you wish to show multiple entries please place each in a separate post and indicate which one you wish to be your competition entry - otherwise your last submitted image will be placed in the poll. Basically, if you have a selection of images of the same subject, have the courage of your convictions and post only the one that you think is best

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

• Aircraft/camera used
  • Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Voting

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for all, some or none of the entries.

In the event of a tie a random passer-by will decide the winner

The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members selecting from three that have been picked at random from the subject list. You may make additions to the list at any time.

The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 23.00 fourteen days later. Voting by poll will be open for a further two days until Monday 22:00

The winner, second and third-placed competitors will be announced shortly after the vote is closed and counted

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners’ wishes and permissions must be respected and adhered to. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

6 Likes

Voting for the winners of the previous round - Churches - is open until 22:00 on Monday, 2nd January, 2023 and the poll can be found here

Is it worth having a separate discussion thread for each RTF (and maybe every challenge forthcoming) now the much welcomed one entry rule has arrived to keep competition threads clean and tidy.

It would be nice to have just entries in a thread. A separate thread for comments would be slightly less easy to comprehend without the picture that is being commented on or the rule that is being queried. So the pictures would have to be copied in the new thread. So that adds redundancy (in this case unwanted) and uses bandwidth.

Could we expect everyone to respect the idea? Experience shows otherwise. And, as Chall Com staffers we only have the power to delete and not to cut and paste from one thread to another.

1 Like

Still Water ? Not much chance of that with the wind at the moment. Perhaps ruffled, wavy water might attract more entries . :joy::joy:

1 Like

@JockyB I’m forever the optimist John! Here’s looking fwd to a nice quiet and sunny Winters day. :sunglasses::crossed_fingers:

What about multiple different subjects ?

This is from a reply given via DM to another competitor enquiring about pictures of different reservoirs being different subjects:

The intention is that you may enter pictures of different subjects - whether Ladybower, Queen Mary (Hounslow) and Staines reservoirs count as different subjects or all the same subject is open to discussion.

When it comes to judging you will be expected to choose the image you wish to enter even if one picture is of a reservoir, one of a swimming pool and one of a lake. If you don’t choose we will take the latest image that you have submitted as your entry.

The idea is twofold, one to encourage people to be more accustomed to self-editing and secondly to stop the multiple entry approach that perhaps penalises those with less time to devote to flying,

So, if you are unable to choose between your images, some underpaid, overworked and doubtless embittered operative with no artistic skill or appreciation will automatically select only your last submitted image as your competition entry.

Is that what you want? 'Cos that’s what will 'appen! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I knew the rules from the start on this one, for once !

So, to summarise, only a single image of a single subject may be submitted.

Basically, Chalcom would rather one of your best decent images, rather than a thread full of many entries from the same person, it will also give those a chance who may only be able to get out and fly, say once over the two weeks, as supposed to some of us who fly more & add more, that way it’s more fairer for all, so if you do decide to post a couple of images you’ll need to state which one is your entry, otherwise your last post will be used for judging, I’m personally going to keep it simple, just the one, anymore I have that may be worthy to show, I’ll probably stick them in the daily photo thread if at all.

1 Like

Yesterday I headed to Fleetwood to see if the boating lake could offer a suitable still water image, but before I got there I noticed that the river mouth was like glass, so…

Mouth of the River Wyre/Morecambe Bay

DJI Air 2, screenshot from 4K video, shot at 13:52 ( low water ) on 2/1/23, looking North with Barrow in Furness on the horizon.

14 Likes

The Mere, a shallow bit of water on the way in to Scarborough. Took this from some way off due to birdlife. Had to submit this, as bad flying conditions for my little craft since 2/1 and even worse forecast for whole of next week.

Taken 2nd Jan 23 afternoon 3pm-ish with Mini SE about 70m above the lake.

10 Likes

My Entry:

Time and date: 2:42pm - 2/1/2023
Drone: DJI Mavic Mini

8 Likes

South Cerney Lake, Cotswolds Water Park

• Time and date: 2.35pm, 07/01/23
  • Aircraft used: Mini 3 Pro

These lakes were created in the second half of the 20th century by extraction of glacial Jurassic limestone gravel, which had eroded from the Cotswold Hills, and these filled naturally from rivers and streams after workings began to be exhausted in the early 1970s.

8 Likes

Entry.

Woodhall Lake, Pudsey, Leeds.
8/1/2023 - 09:03.
DJI Mini 3 Pro.
ISO 100.
Shutter 1/320s.
0ev, no filters.

7 Likes

Don’t think we are going to see any more still water up here this week, so here’s my entry.
The Glasgow Science Centre & Tower with the world’s last seagoing paddle steamer, The Waverly berthed on the left and the TS Queen Mary to the right, which is being restored.

Taken Jan 2nd 2023 @ 08:34am - Mini 3 Pro.

10 Likes

I-95 / Palm Bay Road - Palm Bay
Mini 3 Pro
9th January 2023 07:35 EST

LAANC approval required as not far from Melbourne Airport

5 Likes

That’s one way of getting round the trash British weather at the moment.

Frensham Great Pond, taken at 12:18 on Wednesday 11th Jan 2023

DJI Mini 2,
1/800 s, ISO 100 ( f 2.8 )
ND 4 + AEB

There was a break in the weather and the sun came out briefly
TOAL: outside the NT boundary.

3 Likes