RTF Competition November 20th to Saturday December 3rd - Winners Announced

@group-challenges

There has been another large number of voters for the subject. Will that translate to an entry or two from each person? The subject you have chosen is Canals

Now for the bit that, if anyone reads it, they then ignore:

RTF RULES
Scope

The requirement is to submit an image, either a photo or video, to illustrate the subject of the competition. The subject for the competition running from 00:01 Sunday 20th November to 21:00 Saturday 3rd December 2022 is Canals

The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open and obviously be taken by a drone in flight - so somewhat higher than your eyeline please!

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only (still) plus zoom and frame rate (video) There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

Your video must be a maximum of 30 seconds and hosted on Vimeo or YouTube. Paste the link to your video on a separate line in your post - this will allow the moderators to make a five second gif of a section of your video for entry into the poll.

You can create as many images as you wish and submit them in separate posts in this thread. However, only one image of any one subject will be accepted for judging. If you are making multiple entries please indicate which one you wish to be your competition entry at the time of posting unless you are happy for the judges to make that decision for you. Basically, if you have a selection of images of the same subject, have the courage of your convictions and post only the one that you think is best

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

• Aircraft/camera used
  • Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Drone Scene

If the Drone Scene bonus is specified for the competition then a valid. sensible and original Drone Scene entry for your image will gain two bonus votes when judging takes place. There must be no prior Drone Scene entry for the subject of your photograph.

Please note the qualifier “sensible” in the previous sentence. Drone Scene entries should be of places and objects that other pilots may want to photograph, for example traffic islands or derelict barns may fall outwith that description!*

Voting

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for all, some or none of the entries.

If the Drone Scene bonus is specified for this competition and your image is correctly added to the Drone Scene map it will be awarded two bonus votes. Correctly means with a location including a nearby town or similar likely to be known by UK competitors, a useful description of the subject, drone code compliant TOAL point and any further useful information.

The Drone Scene link must be posted at the same time as the image to which it refers

In the event of a tie a guest giraffe will decide the winner

The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members selecting from three picked at random from the subject list that has been suggested by those members. Additions to the list may be made at any time.

The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 21.00 fourteen days later. Voting by poll will be open for a further two days until Monday 22:00

The winner, second and third placed competitors will be announced shortly after the vote is closed and counted

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners wishes and permissions must be respected and adhered to. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

2 Likes

The guest judge giraffe is a nice spin. They probably class most of our pictures as being taken at ground level. :scream:

1 Like

The Moorings, Lancaster Canal, Garstang

Dronescene location Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - The Moorings, Garstang - Rivers and Canals in North West

Flown approx 12:30 20/11/22 with my mini2 - pic is a screenshot from a video

OK, the drone was not much above eye-level, but was out over the water

6 Likes

Lancaster Canal, Garstang, near the Moss Lane bridge

Flown around 12:30 20/11/22 with my Mini2

I picked this location because the boat ‘Nomad’ bottom right is my friend’s home :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Kennet & Avon canal @ crofton Wiltshire
Mavic air 2
@ 15.00 hrs
ND 4 magic wand edit in I phone
Sorry I couldn’t get it higher, was obstructed

3 Likes

Gloucester Docks: the start of the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal

• Time and date: 16:35, 20/11/22
  • Aircraft: Mini 3 Pro
  • Drone Scene: Link

Gloucester has the most inland port in Britain

Fifteen Victorian Warehouses surround the Gloucester Docks and were once filled with vast quantities of wheat, oats, barley and maize from Ireland, Northern Europe, the Mediterranean and the Black Sea.
Tall ships were able to sail via the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal, bringing goods from all around the world. They were then filled up again with exports, like salt from Stoke Prior and Droitwich, and taken to Ireland and the Continent.

12 Likes

Purton Lower Bridge, Gloucestershire

• Time and date: 15:34, 20/11/22

Purton is a village on the east bank of the River Severn, 3 miles north of Berkeley, in Gloucestershire, England. The village is in the civil parish of Hinton. It lies opposite the hamlet of Purton on the west bank of the river.

There was a ferry across the river to the other Purton by 1282. In the late 18th and early 19th century, there was also a ford across the river here. The ferry, known as Purton Passage, continued in use until 1879, when it was replaced by the Severn Railway Bridge.

7 Likes

Sharpness Marina: the end of the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal

• Time and date: 15:15, 20/11/22

Work began on digging out what was then known as ‘The Gloucester and Berkeley Canal’ in October 1794, and work started on the Entrance Basin at Sharpness in July 1818.

Sharpness Marina is sited on what was the original entrance to the Lock Gates allowing access to the River Severn when the Canal was completed in 1827.

The first two ships to come through the canal were Meredith, with a cargo of brandy from Charente, France, and Annie, which came from Bristol to pick up salt for the Newfoundland fisheries.

Sharpness New Dock, with lock gates double the size of those already used, was opened officially in November 1874.

The Gloucester & Sharpness Canal was once the broadest and deepest in the world. Even today, it stands out from other navigations because of its sheer scale and impressive engineering.

The new dock at Sharpness was opened in 1874 and is one of the most inland ports in Britain, and the eighth largest in the South West. It serves as the gateway from the River Severn to the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal

8 Likes

Purton Ship Graveyard: defences for the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal

• Time and date: 15:45, 20/11/22

A riverbank collapse in 1909 led to concerns about the strong currents of the River and its erosive power putting at risk the Gloucester and Sharpness canal so a quick resolution was required. Between 1909 and 1970’s at regular intervals barges, trows and schooners were taken out on the tide, towed by a tug towards the shore and then charged up the bank. Holes were then made in the hull to allow the tides to deposit the silt inside. Most vessels were beached in the 1950’s and now as a result the ground level has built up meaning you can now see a few barges lying on top of earlier ones.

In total, 66 vessels are beached there between 1939 - 1976.

5 Likes

Scalby Cut agricultural irrigation canal, 5km west of Scarborough. Taken before dawn (7.30), 21st Nov with DJI Mini SE.

Almost all the water from this part of the Moors drains through York and then the Humber estuary. A tiny bit is diverted to the coast along this canal and used for agricultural purposes.

4 Likes

Entry#2
Kennet & Avon canal @ Hampstead marshal Newbury
@14-46
Mavic air 2
Small edit in I photos, on I phone 12 + crop jpeg

8 Likes

Bingley Five Rise Locks

• 10:15 - 24/11/2022
  • DJI Mini 3 Pro - No filters
  • The Locks are situated just outside Bingley town Center.

Entry:-

8 Likes

Look how small the Lock Keeper’s cottage was back then … and their outside toilet.

A 5x4m little house :smiley:

2 Likes

Entry#3
Kennet & Avon canal Hampstead marshal Newbury
Bridge & lock
@14.46 ish
Mavic air 2
Edited in Snapseed jpeg
Already added to drone scene.

10 Likes

Is that not just the toll booth ?

Neither of us are right apparently :laughing:

It's the old forge, where they made and repaired all the iron fittings.

This was actually the lock keeper's cottage, at the top of the locks.

1 Like

Entry#4
Kintbury, Newbury, Kennet & Avon canal
@ 15.30 hrs
Mavic air 2
Edit in Snapseed & I photo on I phone 12

12 Likes

Rodley canal / Swing bridge No217 (Leeds)

• 16:38 - 24/11/2022
  • DJI Mini 3 Pro - No filters
  • ISO100 2sec

Entry 2 :-

8 Likes

Entry#5
Kennet & avon canal kintbury Berkshire
@15-30 ish
Mavic air 2
Edit Snapseed & I photos I phone 12

8 Likes

Entry # 1