RTF Competition Sunday October 23rd to Saturday November 5th - Vote for the Winners

@group-challenges

And now the result of the vote for a subject for the next round of the Reason to Fly competition

You are requested to submit images that illustrate the topic of Construction

For those of you new to this , it’s a fairly relaxed affair but we do have a few rules which it would be nice to adhere to. For the old hands, it may come as an unwelcome surprise but we do have a few rules which it would be nice to adhere to.

And here they are:

RTF RULES
Scope

The requirement is to submit an image, either a photo or video, to illustrate the subject of the competition. The subject for the competition running from 00:01 Sunday October 23rd to 23:00 Saturday November 5th 2022 is Construction

The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open and obviously be taken by a drone in flight - so somewhat higher than your eyeline please!

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only (still) plus zoom and frame rate (video) There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

Your video must be a maximum of 30 seconds and hosted on Vimeo or YouTube. Paste the link to your video on a separate line in your post - this will allow the moderators to make a five second gif of a section of your video for entry into the poll.

You can create as many images as you wish and submit them in separate posts in this thread. However, only one image of any one subject will be accepted for judging. If you are making multiple entries of the same subject please indicate which one you wish to be your competition entry at the time of posting - unless you are happy for the judges to make that decision for you. Basically, if you have a selection of similar images, have the courage of your convictions and post only the one that you think is best

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

• Aircraft/camera used
  • Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Drone Scene

If the Drone Scene bonus is specified for the competition then a valid. sensible and original Drone Scene entry for your image will gain two bonus votes when judging takes place. There must be no prior Drone Scene entry for the subject of your photograph. Please include the link to your drone scene entry or it, and the bonus, may be missed.

Please note the qualifier “sensible” in the previous sentence. Drone Scene entries should be of places and objects that other pilots may want to photograph, for example traffic islands or derelict barns may fall outwith that description! Make sure that the location includes a town or county likely to be known by UK competitors, that there is a useful description of the subject, a drone code compliant TOAL point and any further useful information

Voting

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for all, some or none of the entries.

In the event of a tie a guest judge will decide the winner

The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members selecting from three picked at random from the subject list that has been suggested by those members. Additions to the list may be made at any time.

The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 23.00 fourteen days later. Voting by poll will be open for two days - shortly after the competition closes until Monday 22:00

The winner, second and third placed competitors will be announced shortly after the vote is closed and counted

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners wishes and permissions must be respected and adhered to. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

Merda taurorum evadit cerebro
5 Likes

The New Eastern Villages (NEV) is one of the largest greenfield developments in the country. It will consist of 8,000 homes, new schools, employment spaces and community and leisure facilities.

It will be located to the east of the A419 and is estimated to span 724 hectares, with its eastern boundary reaching the point at which the River Cole meets the A420.

A new road known as the Southern Connector Road (SCR) will provide a link between the New Eastern Villages (NEV) and Commonhead roundabout, near the Great Western Hospital. The two-way single carriageway will be 1.5 miles long.

This scheme was awarded £19m from the Housing Infrastructure Fund in November 2019 and £11.6m from the Local Growth Fund (LGF) and Department for Transport (DfT) in May 2021.

• Location: New Eastern Villages & Southern Connector Road, Swindon
  • Time and date: 23/10/22, 10:44 am
  • Aircraft used: Mini 3 Pro
  • Drone Scene: Link
5 Likes
  • Time and date: 25/10/22, 15:52

New £57m building, what it should look like when finished

There’s to be an extension on the north end of the building after phase 1 is complete, making it the largest building on campus.

5 Likes
  • Time and date: 27/10/22, 16:30

What it replaces:

What it will look like when complete:

Birminghams version of the Chrysler building. Because there’s not already enough empty retail and apartment accommodation in the city.

7 Likes
  • Time and date: 25/10/22, 15:52

Around the corner from the above. This one’s been under development for years with lots of changed plans. Shovels finally entered the ground in late 2020 to build yet more, yes you guessed it. Mixed retail and accommodation. At least this time they’ve managed to incorporate the old building.

5 Likes

Mini 3 Pro
October 28th around 16:40 hrs
Just south of Wendover.
Top (drone) photo only for the RTF comp!

Looking towards Wendover and (in the distance) Aylesbury.
This is a small part of the huge HS2 construction project linking London to Birmingham and maybe further north-who knows?

A 600m conveyor system will decrease the number of vehicles using the A413 to transport excavated materials. EKFB estimate it will move around 640,000cu m of materials, equivalent to the capacity of 256 Olympic sized swimming pools. It should be working for 2 years.
This is visible in lower right of the photo. The A413 cross over part is visible, and then it can be seen crossing the main line to London and away northwards to the Small Dean area. 4 changes in direction or “transfer points” can be seen. These will be fully enclosed and fitted with noise reducing cladding.

To the right of the top of the conveyor and the main line to London is the Small Dean area where there will be a viaduct. The A413 will be realigned as one of the viaduct piers will sit on the current A413.
Artists impression below.

And just for background here’s a photo from my Radian years ago, the area in the drone photo is the “circle” in magenta. I had permission from a local farmer to fly. This is now lost forever because of HS2 construction. My loss is nothing in comparison to his though of course.

4 Likes

The poll to choose the next competition’s subject is now open! :slight_smile:

Introducing SEGRO Logistics Park Northampton (SLPN),

Taken 28th October 2022
With DjiAir2S @ 17:17

Totalling over 5 million sq ft, with design and build units available up to 1.3 million sq ft and a new strategic rail freight interchange onsite,

Current activities include:

Rail terminal – earthworks and construction of the mechanically stabilised earth bund (‘Green wall’) are ongoing. Works in this area as well as the earth bund will be a top priority this year. The main terminal slab works will continue through the summer, with the installation of the rail track and concrete pours for the main terminal slab taking place

4 Likes

This is the 51-storey Three60 residential tower under construction, part of a large development of towers and other buildings, the Great Jackson Street Masterplan.

You can read more about it here:

It’s due to be finished in late 2024. All apartments are already sold.

The photo was taken with my DJI Mini 2 this morning, shooting in wide-angle pano mode, as the building is already tall enough that I could just barely overfly it.

5 Likes

Not an entry, but this is a view of the Three60 building from a little further back so you can see what’s going on …

6 Likes

Housing estate under construction, Bourne Rd, Thornton, Lancs

Taken 17:50ish 28/10/22, DJI Air 2

4 Likes

New housing under construction in Seamer, nr Scarborough. The short clip pans round from one site to another, just about completed small estate. Mini SE, Oct 29th. Rubbish weather, wind too strong for me. I’m going to have to save my pennies for something with more oomph!

4 Likes

station hill redevelopment reading , in addition to the newly designed railway station which has been under construction for many years

DJI AIR 2
30-10-22
19-44

3 Likes

These are not entries it’s on a too bigger scale for my 1/2 sensor , just to piece the picture

3 Likes

Great shot :clap:

More like $867m today :face_with_diagonal_mouth: That’s $137m drop in value since the article was published 12 months ago :man_facepalming:

Entry 2 green park reading and new train station
Mavic air 2
31-10-22
09-58 ish

TOAL by a nearby lake , many hazards , power lines & a sub power station , just have to be carful.

4 Likes

Not entries just showing the scale of project

4 Likes

These posted images make my own site look small!!

This is not an entry as I flew before the dates.

1 Like

This is part of the Cross Tay Link in Perth to create a new bridge going over the River Tay and therefore reduce traffic through the town. This site is also being prepared for hundreds of new houses at the top of the village of Scone.
Taken on 29th at around 2-ish. Permission to fly was saught and granted from Perth Tower. It was actually quite scary flying so close to aircraft coming in to land, with that in mind I flew lower than I normally would the rest of the day!!!

This was edited on my works laptop, not my lovely callibrated monitor at home. I think this might look quite dark and grungy

2 Likes

Two for the price of one… :slight_smile:

In the foreground the A585 Singleton bypass dual carriageway under construction, and in the background a new housing estate being built off the A586 Garstang Rd in Poulton le Fylde

DJI Mini2 around 14:30 01/11/22. TOAL from a layby on Wyre Rd near the yacht club.

View is looking South

2 Likes