RTF Competition - VICTORIAN ENGINEERING - Winners announced!

We are very excited that you have decided that VICTORIAN ENGINEERING should be the next subject that you will tackle. Not only should we get some great images and, we hope, some intriguing stories but we can now play one of our favourite tracks from The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing:

Please note that due to incipient inclement weather, we have determined that it is appropriate to accept entries in accordance with Rule 23 for this particular contest.

Thank you all for voting in the subject selection, your subject for the next fourteen days is Victorian Engineering Portrait Farm Machinery in Motion.

The Challenges Committee have spent most of Saturday in close consultation with Britain’s most esteemed meteorologists and Michael Fish; based on the prognostications of the eminent assembly a decision has been made to allow entries in accordance with Rule 23 - please see below.

RTF RULES

Scope

• The requirement is to submit an image, either a photo or video, to illustrate the subject of the competition.
• The subject for the competition running from 00:01 Sunday November 28th to 23:00 Saturday December 11th is Victorian Engineering
• The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open and obviously be taken by a drone in flight - unless Rule 23 is invoked.
• Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only (still) plus zoom and frame rate (video) There must be no removal or pasting of an object.
• Videos must be a maximum of 30 seconds and hosted on Vimeo or YouTube. Paste the url on a separate line in your post - this will allow the moderators to make a five second gif of a section of your video for entry into the poll.
• Competitors may enter as many images as they wish. Each must be in a separate post. If you do enter multiple images please try to illustrate the subject by markedly different images.
• Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:
◦ Location
◦ Time and date
◦ Aircraft/camera used

Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

• A valid and original Drone Scene entry for your image will gain two bonus votes when judging takes place - i.e. there must be no prior Drone Scene entry for the subject of your photograph.

Rule 23 - if this rule has been invoked entries taken by any means, whether aerial or terrestrial, may be submitted. Entries from DSLRs, mobile phones, compact and mirrorless cameras and similar are allowed. An entry taken by a drone in flight will attract one bonus point

Voting

• Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.
  • Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not. You may vote for all, some or none of the entries.
  • Any image that is correctly added to the Drone Scene map with details including the Drone Code compliant take-off and landing point will be awarded two bonus votes.
  • In the event of a tie a guest judge will decide the winner
  • The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

• The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members.
• The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 23.00 fourteen days later.
• Voting by poll will be open for a further two days until Monday 23:00
• The winner will be announced once the vote is closed and counted

Have Fun!

Objects in the past may appear happier than they actually were.

Are we being strict in defining ‘Victorian’ as only things built during her reign from 20 June 1837 until her death on 22nd January 1901 ?

We keep trying to tell you guys this is your competion, we just administer it.

The subject is selected by you from a random selection of three of your suggestions

You vote on which one of your entries should be the winner.

If you submit a photo of a 1902 Fowler Showman’s engine you will soon find out if your contemporaries are in the same pedantic mood as they were for the Birthday Challenge :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:+1::+1:. :laughing:

1 Like

There were big bucks at stake there, though.:wink:

Nay, it was never about the money.
The cost of doing it always outways the prize money…It was the title that was at stake :laughing:

ok here is my effort using a cheap crappy drone. Ouse Bridge at Ten Mile Bank near Downham Market. 28/11/21. This is a rail bridge built in 1847.
First shot is at ground level using a phone.
Second shot is the Drone, timed it for when a train was passing.
tranb

6 Likes

I was going to take some pictures of the local canal architecture, but then found out it was built 50 years before Victoria came to the throne!

1 Like

1 Like

I did wonder if buildings would be victorian architecture, but I think the above is a good guide and as the committee state its for the members to interpret, personally I don’t know my victorians from my edwardians from my georgians

1 Like

The subtle difference

Architecture focuses more on aesthetic design and functional and spatial design of buildings than engineering that incorporates architectural engineering. Architectural engineers are guided by the engineering principles in the construction, planning, and design of buildings and other structures. You may find that architectural engineers use much more technology in their field than architecture, which is deeply rooted in artistic expression.

@msgyorkie …so if I’ve got my history right which is very doubtful this is is a Georgian canal crossed by a Victorian bridge being used by an 1900’s electrified train/tram

1 Like

@Acedrone …so tarted up a bit :wink:

1 Like

Engineers like our favourite Mr. I.K. Brunel weren’t shy of either displaying their achievments - witness the Brunel inscription on the Tamar bridge - or designing everything involved in a project. Hence Brunel’s seven-foot gauge God’s Wonderful Railway (GWR) runs along the lines surveyed by him, using engines and rolling stock to his design and ran over bridges and through cuttings and tunnels also to his design. Plans for the trackside buildings and railway stations were drawn up by a certain Mr. I.K. Brunel.

Lets see some Victorian wonders and decide whther they are engineering or architecture later :slight_smile:

Architecture = Civil Engineering :wink:

Close…its a Victorian Bridge over a natural river with a 2021 train running on it :grinning:
I however have managed the Victorian Engineeering part correctly :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

@msgyorkie yeah I stand corrected looks like a canal but its the river Ouse and without a doubt you have covered the Victorian era as well as the Georgian and I was going to say the Elizabethan but that’s wrong because that refers to Elizabeth I, and I can’t find out what the current era is known as but I’m sure someone will tell me , if only I had listened at school, my teacher said I would go down in history and I did, maths chemistry and music too ! :wink: :rofl:

The New Elizabethan era

I was going to grab an image of our local town hall which has a statue of Victoria outside but its Edwardian, sorry for turning this thread into a history lesson :- let the competition resume good luck all you New Elizabethans ( Thank you challenges Committee ) :innocent: