RTF Competiton - September 11 to 24 - Golden Hour - Winners Announced

Before we introduce the opening round of the RTF season, we would like to invite you to contribute to a non-competitive photo tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

Full details and the thread to place your picture in are here, we are simply asking for your best ever photo to illustrate the glories of the nations she served for 70 years.

And now to the RTF:

Welcome to the Autumn 2022 RTF Season!

Your subject for the next fortnight is

For this competition the Drone Scene bonus applies - see below

New season, new rules! Please read them :slight_smile:

RTF RULES
Scope

The requirement is to submit an image, either a photo or video, to illustrate the subject of the competition. The subject for the competition running from 00:01 Sunday September 11th to 23:00 Saturday 24th September 2022 is Golden Hour .

The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open and obviously be taken by a drone in flight - so somewhat higher than your eyeline please!

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only (still) plus zoom and frame rate (video) There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

Your video must be a maximum of 30 seconds and hosted on Vimeo or YouTube. Paste the link to your video on a separate line in your post - this will allow the moderators to make a five second gif of a section of your video for entry into the poll.

You can create as many images as you wish and submit them in separate posts in this thread. However, only one image of any one subject will be accepted for judging. If you are making multiple entries please indicate which one you wish to be your competition entry at the time of posting unless you are happy for the judges to make that decision for you. Basically, if you have a selection of images of the same subject, have the courage of your convictions and post only the one that you think is best

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

• Aircraft/camera used
  • Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Drone Scene

If the Drone Scene bonus is specified for the competition then a valid. sensible and original Drone Scene entry for your image will gain two bonus votes when judging takes place. There must be no prior Drone Scene entry for the subject of your photograph.

Please note the qualifier “sensible” in the previous sentence. Drone Scene entries should be of places and objects that other pilots may want to photograph, for example traffic islands or derelict barns may fall outwith that description!*

Voting

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for all, some or none of the entries.

If the Drone Scene bonus is specified for this competition and your image is correctly added to the Drone Scene map it will be awarded two bonus votes. Correctly means with a location including a nearby town or similar likely to be known by UK competitors, a useful description of the subject, drone code compliant TOAL point and any further useful information

In the event of a tie a guest judge will decide the winner

The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members selecting from three picked at random from the subject list that has been suggested by those members. Additions to the list may be made at any time.

The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 23.00 fourteen days later. Voting by poll will be open for two days - shortly after the competition closes until Monday 22:00

The winner, second and third placed competitors will be announced shortly after the vote is closed and counted

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners wishes and permissions must be respected and adhered to. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

tl;dr Be sensible!
2 Likes

Took several pictures whilst out in the City Centre last night to capture Polinations during sunset and lit up once dark, obviously giving plenty of opportunity to grab golden hour in the City.

Although not a striking sunset picture for some reason this one stands out as my favourite at the moment from the bunch, I’ll probably change my mind and submit another subject later next week! :roll_eyes: Would probably look better with a crop, but leaving as is. Shame the rest of the buildings around it are somewhat brutal.

• Birmingham City Centre, or more specifically this is the Radisson Blu Hotel, the 2nd tallest building in Birmingham
  • 15th September 19:02
  • DJI M3P

13 Likes

Loch Elrig, my usual flying haunt, this morning 17/09/22 at 07:43
DJI Mini 2

3 Likes

Why can’t we do bridges this week :man_shrugging:t2::joy:

Just in case anyone was wondering…

2 Likes

The voting for the next subject for the 25th September to October 8th round has just opened - vote now!

September 13th, 19:18 on Morecambe Promenade with a Mini 2, specifically Elms Road. A strange Golden Hour entry, this is filming for The Bay using lighting rigs to make it not the Golden Hour.

Filming moved on later in the week to Happy Mount Park.

4 Likes

Have you seen the three potential subjects for the next round?

After Rain, Farm Machinery in Motion or As Seen on TV - wonder which one you will be voting for? :slight_smile:

I wonder :thinking: except it hasn’t been seen on TV yet. It was the vote thread that reminded me of this photo.

Entry

taken DJI Mini3 Pro 1941 17th September 2022
Equinox festival Chalk Farm, Lincolnshire, UK.DN36 5SL 3 Day event 16th 18 th september 2022
A gathering of all tribes. Performance, art, interaction and education for all. Set inside a hill, in the breathtaking Lincolnshire Wolds. Six stages representing all musical tastes, incredible lightshows, family area, fireshows and workshops. For the people not for profit.

Fire shows, workshops and heritage crafts, chill out areas, healing area, our central fire and of course our Children’s Area featuring Gypsy Pyksy and Foolhardy Circus to keep the little ones entertained.

There’ll be over a hundred bands and DJs again on our six stages, including our three banging dance tents - Sunrise, Lunar and John Street, with their crazy decor and stage shows to match, our solar powered Soundscape stage and the Crispy Disco stage- dedicated to the Captain - Crispian Baker, and our newest venue, the Big Dub!

14 Likes

Entry
Grimsby Docks Sunrise

Taken 0643 19th September 2022 DJI Mini3 Pro

8 Likes

September 13th, Morecambe promenade with the Mini 2.

10 Likes

Taken this morning near to Bridgwater at 06:35 with my Mini 3 Pro

My first entry in a RTF comp, so go easy on me :joy: :joy:

11 Likes

You will very pleased to know, Ian, that the Challenge Nazis do little apart from provide the space to hang the pictures.

The subject is chosen from a list of suggestions provided by GADC members. Three subjects are randomly selected by computer and one is chosen by a poll of members. The current selection process for the next round runs until Saturday 24th at 22:00

Once this round closes the pictures will be arranged for anyone to approve. Approval is shown by voting for one, some, none or all pictures. Those with the top three numbers of votes are declared the winners.

The judges are simply your fellow GADC members. So, no worries! :slight_smile:

Between Tintagel and Boscastle at 18:04 on 14/09/22.
DJI Mini 3 Pro

9 Likes

Rossall Point Observation Tower ( Rossall Point Observation Tower - Wikipedia )

DJI Mini 2, approx 19:00 on 20/9/22

Area previously uploaded to Dronescene Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Fleetwood prom - Beaches and Seaside Resorts in North West

8 Likes

I reckon you’re onto a top 3 place at your first attempt with that. :+1:

The hour wasn’t particularly golden but the wee dug enjoyed herself swimming in what water she could find.

Sparkes Marina, Hayling Island
(My backyard :slight_smile: )

Mavic Air 2
21/09/22 around 19:15

9 Likes

Just a note - the first RTF competition was held all that time ago in 2020, starting on September 20th and running until October the 3rd. Two years is a lifetime in GADC history! :slight_smile:

The subject was Bridges and scoring was slightly different, going by likes. This gave the first to post an unfair advantage as their entries had longer exposure to the “liking” brigade.

The first competitions were run as private enterprise by @macspite and @McSteamy2010 until they were nationalised and the faceless bureaucrats of the @Challenges_Committee took over. Since then investment has been unprecedented, the white heat of new technology being represented by a replacement ribbon for the Randomizer™ printer.

Are we having fun yet?

4 Likes

When I was in Toome in August to get a photo of a country house hotel for the Birthday Competitiion I liked the look of the place so I booked a couple of nights for this week for me and her indoors. I took a walk out to Lough Neagh before breakfast this morning to grab a few photos with the Mini 2. This one was taken about 8.45am while there was still a slight glow in the sky. It had been raining overnight and I was expecting a grey overcast morning but it started to brighten up eventually.

8 Likes