Setting up a North Yorkshire Drone Search and Rescue Group

I will do Bill. I will put your name on the list, and keep it there, and Thank You

Hi ximi.
Yes thye both have drone units but they onky have so many Drones to go round, the more drones and eyes in the sky the better, my aim is to be there if the Police or Fire could use extra help, also I am sure you have heard of people who go missing on the North York Moors in Winter, we can also offer helo to the York Boat Rescue, anywhere they need eyes in the sky, and its none profit, entirely voluntry, so it will cost them nothing and may of great help to them.

2 Likes

Hi Bill

I’ve removed your mobile number from your post, use PM, much more secure than having your number visible to all

Hi in Pocklington (east yorks boundary) but quite a new oldboy

Hi John

I might be interested, but am pretty new to flying so only a couple of months experience. Any excuse to get out there though! Let me know what it entails and whether someone of my (in)experience would be of any use.

Thanks.

Tim

1 Like

Out of interest, what is commonly regarded as a suitable drone for this kind of thing? I know the ideal would be for everyone to flying Anafi Thermals and DJI Enterprise Duals, but what do most people (without thousands of pounds to burn) use?

Apologies for slightly derailing the topic - I’ve just been wondering ever since I first saw that drone SAR was a thing.

I am not an expert, but at the least some form of semi-automated camera drone would be best. My current outdoor drone is an iFlight Green Hornet, a 4S cinewhoop, which I bought because it looked robust and relatively safe and therefore good so that I could learn to fly FPV. However, I would not consider it suitable for SAR except for circumstances whereby it was required that a drone go into close cover and investigate a particular position (and even then there would be limitations on RSSI and video transmission through cover). My guess would be that a camera drone that could sit relatively high (100ft+) and stable, that could follow a pre-determined track (waypoints) and even use waypoints to form a grid search, would be a good starting point. Camera drones also tend to have greater endurance. Having a zoom camera would be highly desirable, and thermal even better (although thermal has limitations as contrary to what TV shows indicate, it is degraded through cover). So we are probably looking at some of the DJI series and Parrot Anafis and equivalents.

1 Like

I agree, I have 2 DJI drones and a Holy Stone 720E so all good camera drones for what I want, I would love a Thermal Drone but they run into a few Thousand pounds, that doesnt mean its no possible, I aim to look at Sponsorship for one of them once the group is established.

1 Like

Got it … makes sense :slight_smile:

@milkmanchris I just clicked that link just to be nosey really, then realised i’m not on it. How do I add myself to the map? any ideas buddy.
Thanks

Details here Mike @Speedbird - Members' Location Map - A Guide

1 Like

Cheers, on it!

Havnt got a suitable drone at the moment and also a bit far for short notice from London but what great idea :+1:

1 Like

Ignore previous post. My bad, sorted!

1 Like