Shropshire Council policies - can they enforce a ban?

Was looking into flying near Ironbridge and looked into Simon Hawkins’ FOI request response from the Shropshire Council via Drone Scene. Their answer was the following quote of their UAV modelling policy, but doesn’t look like its backed by a Bylaw. This by itself wouldn’t stop me flying my mini 3 Pro but is there any advise to be had from more learned members than I on this subject?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/720080/response/1713838/attach/html/3/Outdoor%20Partnership%20Policy%2013%20Drone%20and%20Model%20Aircraft.pdf.html

1 Like

Park Enforcement & Bylaws
If person/persons are found to be using a drone or model aircraft device from Shropshire Council
land without permission, they will be requested to stop immediately. If the user refuses to stop, the
Police will be called to attend to cease activity and remove the user from Shropshire Council land.
Granting Permission to Contractors

Irrespective of there being a specific, named bylaw in place flying from their land may well lead to confrontation with the council employees and/or the constabulary

For all their claim that you cannot overfly their land you do, by authority of the CAA, have that right. Just be sure to take off from non-council land and don’t deliberately antagonise any people using the land by repeated lowflying or by obviously singling them out as a photo target.

I do take exception to the Council’s assertions that:

Few non-commercial users have the correct training or permission from the Civil Aviation
Authority to operate drones

A2 CofC? I know I am preaching to the converted in that many in here will have or are intending to get this qualification

*If a drone causes damage or harm, pilots generally do not have the correct insurances, or *
level of insurances, to adequately compensate those affected.

How many of us are FPVUK or BMFA members primarily for their PLI cover?

Is it possible that flights from council land, not just in Shropshire but as national legislation, could be authorised to holders of %3million PLI and an A2 Cof C or similar?

Their policy has no standing in law, however that being said they can still prevent you from TAOL from council land.

Good advice Robert. :+1: I just intend to take off, manoeuvre to take a couple of photo’s and land; less than 5 mins tops. I doubt I will even see a council employee. :joy:

In the absence of a bylaw, as a Council Tax payer (albeit in another borough that uses virtually a cut and paste policy), I’m going to make the assumption that trespass will not be an issue (as I do in my own town), but if I recall correctly, I think there’s a couple of places that shouldn’t cause offence. :innocent: And your right, I’m one of the many FPVUk insurance holders and I have a Flyer ID (only have the mini 3 Pro so an A2CofC would not be necessary for me, although I will do the course one day).

@stevesb No worries Steve. I used to deal with one of the most aggressive Unions in the country and always came out alive! :sweat_smile: Judging by the councils quote (below) I might even get a lift home. :blush:

‘Park Enforcement & Bylaws’…
‘If person/persons are found to be using a drone or model aircraft device from Shropshire Council
land without permission, they will be requested to stop immediately. If the user refuses to stop, the Police will be called to attend to cease activity and remove the user from Shropshire Council land.’

I’m not going to fly in a Park and probably will TOAL from either a public path/road or pub carpark… Stealthily. :sunglasses: Any issue I will packup and mov on. :+1:

Does a public path mean a public footpath?

Yes or a CRoW trail path on an OS map. A path that could not pssibly construed as private.

Tons of people have took drone pics and video of IronBridge. Play dumb and ask for forgiveness. What’s the worse that’s going to happen realistically.

I fly occasionally in the Ironbridge area and have never encountered any problem. I have a pal who regularly flies in around the Madeley/Ironbridge/Coalbrookdale/Coalport areas and has posted a number of videos on line. He has never been challenged. However I did point out that he was pushing his luck flying under the Ironbridge at night. One impact and the cost of touching up the paint could bankrupt him.
My advice is stay away from the centre of Ironbridge. The oxbows in the river downstream of Leighton have been spectacular this past few days with the river in flood. However the pub at Coalport is looking very damp.

@FlyingShroppie Great advice Roger thanks. Didn’t go today after all because the fog round our way ruined my plans! But when the weather is better I’ll take a drive across. :+1: