DJI Smart Controller with Mini 2 and Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom - Advice Please

Smart Controller Advice
If this is the wrong place please move.
I currently fly a Mini2 and am considering getting a Smart Controller for the following reasons:
Visibility of iPad mini even with hood
Will probably upgrade to Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom (larger, easier to see in flight)
I like the idea of one controller for both drones
So, is the Smart Controller screen better than my iPad mini?
Would there be any drawbacks, apart from cost?
Thoughts appreciated.

1 Like

Absolutely! I used to use a iPad mini4 before I got my smart controller and would never go back. Far superior to see in bright sunshine, in fact couldnā€™t see my iPad at all, most of the time. The big plus for me is just how quick you can have your drone in the air. No more fiddling about with cables etc.

1 Like

When Iā€™ve flown with others using the SC Iā€™ve found Iā€™m in the much quicker than they are (just using iPhone, 1 cable)

2 Likes

Screen wise:

Brightness the ipad is about 380 nits vs the controller which is 700, so noticeably brighter.

Resolution the ipad is 1024x768 vs the DJI RC having a 1080p resolution (memory might be wrong here) on a smaller (5.5") screen

So there should be some noticeable benifit of you can stomach the price hike if they start to sell it separately

The RC Pro is even brighter I belive at over 1000 nit

1 Like

Interesting. Iā€™ve always found it the other way around.

1 Like

Have you thought about upgrading to the Dji mini 3 pro? Could be more cost effective?

Perhaps the old dudes Iā€™m flying with.

There is also the performance ā€˜issuesā€™, I think the brightness is the biggest plus.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking: position at the minute.

Do I get the new RC Pro for the Mavic 3 and A2s or a Mini 3 with the new controller, or the Mini 3 with the RCN1?

I have the original SC and I do like it. But, I have found that it is more of a pain to use and get photos from than it is with my iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Itā€™s just a faff to get the photos off.
I donā€™t like the ā€œhotspotā€ from the phone idea for the maps etc as I consider the extra wifi Iā€™m giving off from my phone for the hotspot could possibly cause interference. Might not but Iā€™m sure it will be doing to a point.

Also the ā€œupdatesā€ and the frequency of them for the SC has been very poor. So Iā€™m in a bit of a quandary as to what to do.

I do like the SC but feel they are a bit over egged for what they are.

I think everyone/most people who have one have to try and justify the cost, so ā€œitā€™s the best way to do it, or they are amazing and I love itā€

It does nothing more than your phone/tablet does. It has no network connection for any type of data without another ā€œsomethingā€ to connect to. Be that a hotspot or even your home wifi.
Yes the screen is amazingly good. It has another roller/dial for the zoom.
But in all honesty thatā€™s it.

For my buck or 2 cents worth I would say itā€™s a very expensive item that in all honesty does not warrant the cost. Donā€™t get me wrong, the money aspect is of no concern to me. Iā€™m just trying to give you an open and honest review of the SC. I am not affiliated to anyone I buy all my own stuff with all my own doh. I have looked at the tripletec. I have not had one in my hands but from what I have seen and read they are quite heavy and the controller becomes unbalanced.

Hmmmmm :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

I think I will wait until I am free again.
Then get one from Amazon have a play if itā€™s no good Iā€™ll send it back.

2 Likes

:point_up:

Heā€™s one of the ones I fly with

2 Likes

:grin:

1 Like

I far, far prefer my SC to the faff of a controller with a phone/tablet. The screen is (to my eyes) better than my iPad mini (5th gen). Itā€™s got better balance and is easier to hold. Itā€™s quicker to unpack and get flying. All round, just a more pleasant experience.

That saidā€¦

I have the Mini2 and M2P and whilst it is still much more convenient just carrying around the SC than two different controllers and switching the tablet back and forth, itā€™s not seamless.

Switching from using the Mini2 to the M2P is quick and easy, but switching back to the Mini2 from the M2P has never worked. The only solution is to relink your Mini2 every time. Takes about 30 seconds so itā€™s not the end of the world, but you do get that annoying beeping until the two pair so itā€™s not discreet. DJI know about it, but Iā€™ve given up hoping that theyā€™ll fix it with a patch.

Just something to be aware of.

2 Likes

I always download the raw photo files straight from the drones sd card. For me the smart controller is all about speed of use. I photograph & film weddings so sometimes have seconds to get the drone in the air.

:point_up:Yep, my only complaint too, which is why Iā€™ve stuck to flying the Mini2 for my wedding work. It connects straight away if it was the drone used before.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. Some good points made.
I have a visibilty problem with the Mini2. I have tried a strobe, dayglow, reflective strips etc. but my 70+ old eyes just canā€™t see it if i get any distance away.
On that basis the Mini3 is hardly likely to be better.
So I need a bigger drone and my pockets arenā€™t deep enough for the Mavic 3. Besides, I reckon the Mavic 2 Zoom offers all I need and with the Zoom I may not need to get as close to objects and as a result, not so far away.
With the 3 out, I reckon there might be a few used deals on the Zoom.

Iā€™ve got a M2, M2Z and an Air 2S all of which I use with my Smart Controller. Sure it takes a few seconds to re-link with another drone, but thatā€™s all it is, seconds.
The screen is 1000 nits, not 720, (thatā€™s the new one with the M3), and itā€™s much, much brighter than an iphone/ipad. If you use it at dusk, youā€™ll have to drop the brightness down as itā€™ll hurt your eyes!
They are a bit expensive, but once youā€™ve tried one youā€™ll never go back.

1 Like

I bought a zoom with the SC option. I bought a Mini2 as soon as they became compatible with the SC. Altogether I am very happy with the setup. The SC battery lasts a lot longer than 3 battery changes on either drone. The brightness is more than enough for a sunny day. Swapping pairing between the two takes seconds. I use mine with a lanyard and eye bolts.

2 Likes

Did they ever sort the latency issues out?

One of the questions I still have on the SMART controller and the new controller with the Mavic Mini 3 Pro is the battery life particularly when you boost the brightness and are recording a lot of screen content etc

My plan was to upgrade to the Mini Pro with the screen Bob W

SC battery is excellent - easy outlasts two full charges of my four M2P batteries.

From the reviews, the new DJI RC with the Mini 3 seems to just about last longer than three batteries youā€™d have with the FlyMore bundle.

Iā€™d be disappointed with only that long. My original RC lasts 4 drone batteries. (Well, it should, and used to. Already planning to renew the RC batteries.)

If it only lasts two drone batteries the spare batteries would mean swapping back to the default RC + phone/tablet ā€¦ = faff.

Can it be charged from a power bank whilst in use?