Snap Song non-competition

Oh well, time to give up. Think the challcom have their winner already ffs, we’re all doomed to failure from this point on :rofl:

Not at all Joe. We are an eclectic bunch here with varied and sometimes strange musical tastes. Go ahead - delight us!

And this is a just a quick trial. Until we can work out a way to score the entries it will have to be a fun exercise, not a competition. Maybe we enjoy the pictures and the music then have an RTF style poll of the pictures only. Would that work and be fair?

Hehe it was actually meant as a compliment to @clinkadink photo, not that the callcom were corrupt and in clinks back pocket!!! :rofl:
This could be hard to score though, difficult to seperate artistic impression and interpretation from your love or hate of the song, very difficult!
If it were me and if it were possible, you could have a ratings style voting system? Similar to amazon, fleabay etc? Star ratings for interpretation, composition and execution? Maybe too difficult to implement in a short time frame though and I know fek all about these tinterweb things or how to do it

Chris can’t afford the bribes any more. He had a good run but wouldn’t pay us enough during the Colour Challenge …

It is difficult to score. The competition - if it develops into one - will introduce people to music they may not have considered previously. It also gives photographers a chance to take a picture of their own choosing by whatever means they wish. At the end of the competition we can place the images, the images only, in a poll so that they are divorced from the music. Possibly we could put them in a separate voting thread. Then the pictures should be judged on their merits alone.

With luck someone will come up with a better idea!

To be honest the whole point of this one is your artistic impression of the song, so the two go hand in hand and in my opinion need to go together and not be seperated

1 Like

So the song title displayed under the picture. And hope that we are mature enough not to downvote a fine image because we don’t like the song?

Even easier - the competitor puts the song title on the picture in whatever font or style they wish. Saves the overworked, underpaid Chall Com employees from worrying abot making mistakes,

@Challenges_Committee I edited my post above so don’t know if you’d be aware of my suggestion?
Only been here a short time but I reckon that the majority of regular contributers could be trusted to not downvote on piss poor song selection?
I’m only saying that as my music selection is a little wierd and f?£×3d up :rofl:
ps
Have I ever mentioned I play Yidaki (didgeriduh)?

1 Like

The poll system is relatively easy to implement because it is part of the basic board software. Star rating could be done but would then require someone to total each rating for each entry and sort out the winner(s). Not sure of the underlying maths for this is one person gets rated by five people and another only has three judge them.

We’ll have athink on that one …

I have tried playing my mate Greg’s didge with limited success. The circular breathing is a bit of a bugger. But he plays it well. He holds both Australian and British passports. I have a video somewhere of him playing to a crowd at a military vehicle show. In the beer tent. Surprisingly it was well appreciated :slight_smile:

I’m not very good to be honest. The circular breathing is surprisingly easy once you get the basics into your head, it’s all timing. I could probably have you doing it in less than an hour. I’ve taught a few people to CB and didge in general, just the basics mind though. Once you start getting into diaphragm, bounce and throat breathing it gets a little more complicated.

As there is still a little life in the horse we will continue flogging it

The new Snap Song Competition is here. The year is 2011 …

Damn, you’ve moved on from '97 already… but since I’ve just spent a half hour in the garden turning over the rockery, you’re still getting an entry :wink:

Title: Beetlebum
Release Date: 20 Jan 1997
Device used for image: Canon EOS 600D with Sigma 70-300mm f4.5-6 Macro DG
Location/Date: My garden, twenty minutes ago
Information: It’s a beetle’s bum. Not a whole lot else to say. Oh, and it was in a white pasta bowl so it didn’t escape.

1 Like

Sorry Joe :frowning:

Hope you’re not always so late to the party. Shame, as it’s a cracking entry, That standard of picture will do well in the current competition - indeed we can think of at least one 2011 release that this picture might match …

I’m off to hit up Google! :wink: