So Excited..........24 sleeps to go here in sunny Bexhill

Come On, Come On, Come On. Soooooooooooooooooooo Excited…
Have ordered my Drone as a Christmas Present from she who must be obeyed, so won’t be flying it till post 25th day of this month. (Just 24 sleeps to go). I’m 60 and still get excited by this sort of thing.

I shall be a shiny bright newbie to this hobby so will probably be asking for advice along the way. I understand the theory of flight…what goes up must come down. If there is no go-juice the likelihood of a miserable end is the most likely outcome

When I was in the army back in the '70s and 80’s in the Army I tried to transfer to the Army Air Corps but due to my height got told by the MO get back to the day job too tall young man I won’t be recommending you to go further. So my flying days were over before they began but still, I dreamed.

I didn’t bother asking to go on the roster for the Sussex Parrafin Parrot at Shoreham for fear of being given the same reason, so took to driving cars on Traffic and chasing baddies.

Then for my 40th birthday, my kids bought me an RC model plane. Took it the fire hills and that was the last any of us saw of it… heading inland on the wind.

I bought my youngest an RC helicopter at the Eastbourne Airshow but the batteries were rubbish and didn’t last two seconds s it sat on the top of the wardrobe for at least a decade before being consigned to the tip.

Now retired doing part-time work and with the kids now independent and three Grand rug rats and a springer for company, an account on Elite Dangerous, I have hankered after the thrill of flight again albeit remotely.

So any way expect a few cock-ups along the way. WIll tell all as it goes…

Tricky

12 Likes

You will be just fine!,first flight,find a nice big open area,keep it close,and get a feel for the controls! oh and ,of course,ENJOY!!! :+1: :+1: :+1: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Which drone have you gone for @Trickyhicky ?

Welcome to Grey Arrows!

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome guys @FIREFOX & @PingSpike, nice of you to answer.

I have gone for the Holy Stone HS700 D.

At £200 it appears to be a nice little starter unit, it has some nice features, the YT vids it give it positive reviews and finally it looks good.

I’m sure some out there might say different, but if all goes well it will be fun and not too expensive if it falls out of the sky or connects with something harder than it.

Spares seem a reasonable price and readily available… no doubt there will be a few of those required along the way.

Tricky

2 Likes

We’ve a good few Holy Stone owners here too mate :+1:t2:

:+1:

HI @Trickyhicky and welcome to GADC. Looking forward to some aerial shots of that Icon of Bexhill, the De La Warr Pavilion. . . . :wink:

1 Like

Hi @SeaHunter I will do that. A nice clear morning at sunrise would be fantastic. I enjoy photography all terra firma so looking forwrd to some ariel film.

But first I must be at one with my drone so baby steps…

2 Likes

The best drone is the one you fly. If it’s not flying it’s just an ornament.

Note to self. I have too many ornaments.

Nidge.

1 Like

Similar situation here (over in West Sussex) - not allowed to play with the MA2 until after the 25th :slightly_frowning_face: - I’m learning new skills at 66! Good luck mate.

1 Like

Hi there. I’m in more or less the same boat. Owned an extremely cheap non-gps drone a few years ago, but only ever flew it a handful of times as I could never control it. Managed to make one video with it the whole time I had it, and the fact I managed to ultimately land the drone somewhere in my vicinity so that I didn’t lose it was, quite frankly, a miracle LOL

Due to that experience I didn’t want to fork out too much money for a drone this time around, but managed to get a good deal on the Holy Stone HS720E. It is being packed away for Christmas, but I did a quick fly around my garden to make sure it all worked before putting it away.

Super easy to control, even for me. It’s a completely different world from what I had before, and the video came out really well.

Judging by my brief experience I think you’ll have a lot of fun with your new drone.

Roll on December 25th :smiley:

1 Like

Best introduction ever!!!

Welcome to the club.

1 Like

What a wonderful story! Good luck

1 Like

Thanks @Nidge i have had some photographic gear like that gathering dust…

But not anymore since my toners got into the hobby.

Hey @Mickhick only 23 more sleeps…

Hi @mikey. Your comment makes me feel more confident that all will be okay.

:wave: and thanks for your kind comment.

Just to update everyone something in a large box marked Amazoom landed today whilst the trickle was working. It took all my self control not to open it. Every time I walked past it I heard this voice calling “Just opened peeeeek”
Did I I or didn’t I?
Nah can’t spoil the excitement after all it is only 23 sleeps.

1 Like

That’s what I’ve got, well I’ve got the HS720, not quite as snazzy but still a great drone.

Welcome to the club. HS 510 owner myself but a MM2 upgrade in Jan, static camera on the 510 is annoying as hell but at £100 a great little learning drone and its served its purpose.

Always remember. The ‘Return to Home’ button is your best friend :wink:

I don’t know whether I’d have your restraint with the parcel. In fact I know I wouldn’t. The only thing that might put me off peeking is the wrath of the ball and chain when she read my mind and found out.