Source of LiPo Cells?

If you want to build a Li-ion pack then 18650 cells are everywhere. But what if you want to build your own LiPo packs, or in my case replace the cells in a Smart Battery, where can you purchase individual cells from in the UK?

I’m not talking about 1cell batteries that have the protection circuit and twin leads connected, but individual cells with the zinc tabs for spot welding.

The only ones I can find are pre wired cells and look like theyre for things like mobile phones. Farnell, RS and Kitronik have them. Doubt they will be suitable for drone batteries though :thinking:

1 Like

Just a thought Nidge, could you not purchace a decent fpv quad style battery pack of the correct rating and strip out the individual cells?

2 Likes

China lol

1 Like

For drones like the Phantom 2/3, where the cells are very close in size and capacity to those you find in regular LiPo’s, the ones in the FPV battery are a little harder to find. Each cell is 2000mAh/7.4Wh with an estimated C rating of just 4. I can’t find any of the shelf 6s 2000mAh packs with cells that match size of the things used in the FPV drone battery.

This maybe an exercise in futility as I’ve been digging into the BMS board of the FPV battery and I have a feeling DJI may have blocked access to it. I can read the data from my Spark and Mini2 batteries, but when I try to read the FPV battery I receive a Manufacturer Access Code message and a Hex value, with no options to delve deeper :cry: