Stretton Airfield

This is a former RNAS airfield, south of Warrington. It used to be possible to get in and wander around, but it is due to have a luxury home built on it, so now quite secure.

10 Likes

Great shot, :ok_hand:

Tractor driver is pissed though in the field next to the runway :beer::joy:

7 Likes

Nice one @kvetner my son was only asking the other day why don’t I fly over it how spooky, I use to live across the way from it and have gone over in a microlight many times supposed to have underground storage so I am told, Nice pano :+1:

Some of the original bunkers certainly survived a few years ago, not sure if they’re still there. It looks like building the new house hasn’t started so I may take a closer look some time …

That’s my old neck of the woods :slightly_smiling_face:

I lived in Appleton Thorn for 20 years bought an old house and renovated Jesus how it’s changed now

A guy I use to know owns a microlight airstrip adjacent to it could be handy :+1:

I was a Stockton Heath boy growing up. The Bridgewater Canal was at the top of my street. We’d ride up to stretton on our BMX bikes

2 Likes

I was thinking of going for a flyover at Stretton Airfield over the weekend weather permitting! but looking into the area and if it is safe to fly I came across this youtube video

https://youtu.be/9yT4jBXWAPs

In the comments, it mentions a Microlight airstrip, and the guy is not happy about drone’s flying so close! why are these not shown on https://dronescene.co.uk/?
Surely if aircraft are regularly taking off from there then there must be some restrictions?

@kvetner I should have known you got there before me :wink: What is your take on this? If these Microlight Airfields are not pinpointed then why? or am I missing something?
Thanks.

Last I heard Stretton Airfield was all now the private estate of Duncan Cameron, although whether he has started construction of his Bond-villain style house yet, I don’t know. It certainly was not being used for any kind of aviation when I visited.

The microlight field (Hawksview) is the long thin green one just outside the southern boundary of the old airfield. It’s shown as a runway hazard if you zoom in on DroneScene but doesn’t seem to advertise its presence, it’s certainly not an FRZ. One hit on Google mentions “their extremely low profile operation” which makes you wonder a bit!

I imagine there’s very little stopping anyone running an airfield in their field (there’s another one about 500m further south of Hawksview), and the data will only be in the drone safety maps if the owner is keen to publicise their presence.

The Min of Transport and Civil Aviation had a radar unit there just on the edge of Stretton called Manchester Area Radar (it was also the Manchester Contorl Zone unit). Burtonwood was going full chat in those days with all sorts of USAF stuff. I worked therein the very early 60’s. I left there for the nuclear bunker with Joint ATC Radar at Nantwich controlling air traffic above 25k.in coop with the RAF…
The Civil Stretton unit was closed and advertised for sale as useful for a pig farm!!

1 Like