The Daily Photo Thread

Had a wee fly around this strange historical relic in Southampton, the other day.
It’s called The Crosshouse … main use for which, these days, seems to be a urinal.
Change a bit over the years.

(No! I did not take that old photo! :stuck_out_tongue: )

9 Likes

Top marks for providing the old photo.

You know what would be really cool. Get a photo from same view point.

Crop align in video editor and do a transition, old to new with colour fading in gradually.

Always something I’ve wanted to try but never got round to.

2 Likes

Had the same thought. I found that old pic some days after I took MP pics … or I’d have done something like that.
I’m in touch with a person that has spent years working on the history of Southampton. We’ve thought about trying to replicate some aerial photos from the past. Takes shit loads of Google Earth planning to get the location and angles. Not managed the first one yet.
So many war time aerial photos of bomb damage … tho many from too high.

1 Like

I just got back from a most excellent 4 day D-Day beaches visit and got some great shots of the bunkers etc there…here’s a few to feast your eyes on. The weather there was overcast, misty and rainy apart from a few isolated sunny moments. Thank god for the lightroom magic!!

A British Churchill ARVE with a petard mortar designed for bunker busting. This one was called “Avenger” and was lost during the first moments when it ran into a deep water filled crater - 4 of its 6 crew were killed and it was recovered in 1976. It now sits feet away from its original position at Juno Beach.

An aerial shot of the Maisy Battery. This battery remained in action until 9th June 1944 when it was finally silenced. After it’s capture it fell out of mind and view as it was off the beaten track and only rediscovered in 2004. it was cleared by the new owners and opened as a museum in 2007.

A very misty morning at Juno beach - the cross of Lorraine commemorates the Free French Forces that joined the invasion army.

One of the guns at the Longues battery - again taken during a mega misty morning, very early so I didn’t infringe anyones privacy. These are the only batteries where guns remain - all the other batteries guns were melted down after the war to make use of the metal.

The destroyed battery at Pointe du Hoc at Utah Beach. This area was pounded heavily - note the craters. This is the part of the D-Day beaches that was attacked during the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan. I once spoke to a D-Day veteran who said that opening sequence was basically exactly like D-Day except quieter and with no smell.

The Radar site at Douvres le Deliverande. This site fed data into the surrounding AA batteries and artillery batteries.

Omaha beach. So peaceful now.

It was a great place to visit, with a very moving undertone. Omaha beach was a real fun place to fly - I’ll be making a little video soon as well…I will of course post a link when it’s all done.

14 Likes

Brilliant photos and post mate!

Lightroom is indeed a godsend.

1 Like

Amazing shots, WOW

1 Like

I’m envious but will be fortunate enough to be in that area on May 15th for four nights (St Mere Eglise) as the opener for my Band of Brothers tour.

3 Likes

I went out today for a miserable overcast flight at a cool little church i’d found near me. Welcome to the rather unusual 13th Century Church of St. Mary and St. Margaret in Stow Maries, Essex.

6 Likes

Ewwwwwww! :face_vomiting:

Yeah - chances are, back in its day, when sanitary arrangements were still generally pretty basic, it was treated with greater respect.

A morning out at some Dorset monuments, not very bright with lots of low level cloud but it was nice and quiet out there and a very light breeze.

Knowlton Church & Earthworks - DJI Spark

Horton Tower, Mavic Pro Platinum

4 Likes

A break in the fog!

Edit: This was taken using latest Go4/Android and MP with Modded 1.04.0100 Firmware … the one without the ‘offending modules’. (I love that term! :+1:)

5 Likes

So - working from the RAW files, processing them all, stitching them (MS ICE), etc … almost 1 hour! … this is as good as I can get from the MP/Go4.

Of course … with all that fog/cloud, it was the most idiotic pano to try it on, since most of it has no detail. #Duh!

But, other than higher resolution, nor really much different … and not as punchy as Hanger360 appears to consistently be.

Yet to do comparison between the two of the same view … because I’m iOS-less.

3 Likes

Still a cracking pano.

From what I’ve read GO4 is very fast taking the panorama shots, a bit too fast.

Litchi is supposed to take a lot longer but give better results. Have you tried pano with litchi?

Hangar shots are stunning but it’s the cloud thing that annoys me. Can you download them and if not what happens if they pull the server in the future.

I’ve been googling for a back door to download, without success … unsurprisingly. :frowning:

It’s one reason I’ll continue trying to find ways to improve what comes from Go4, and, when I eventually get iOS/Hanger, I’ll continue to duplicate with the Go4 versions as backup.

Nope. Not, knowingly, seen any results.
“IF” I’m going to invest money in panos … Hanger seems to be the dog’s dangly bits. Prefer to pay more for that.

Good thing about Hangar is you can down load images to device, presume mobile and all single JPEGS are on the card in the drone, in which case (SPARK)

Hi, this is my first post on here! Taken on Monday night at Penshaw Monument, near Sunderland. I was showing a friend the Mavic Air and we were treated to a great sunset.

19 Likes

Have you tried stitching the jpegs(/DNG?) from the SD Card to create the pano away from their site?

1 Like

Welcome to Grey Arrows @fletchphoto :+1:

Cracking photo there mate :smiley:

1 Like

That’s a good point, so if Hangar ever did get pulled you could still manually stitch and recreate :+1: