The Great Steam Train thread

Timings are live, steam between Crewe & Chesterfield.

1 Like

It is going past me, but I don’t think I can wrangle a work from home day. I might be able to get it on the way back, but, it will be pitch black. I’ll see if I can find somewhere that’s well lit.

1 Like

Had a late meeting dumped on me, so no chance I’ll get to where I need to be in time! Although weather forecast doesn’t exactly look favourable anyway! :frowning:

Good of you to at least think about filming and yes, it’s a horrible day but can’t think of a better way to travel.

2 Likes

No direct URL for April, it opens showing the current date for the rest of the calendar month. A few mainline steam tomorrow, April 1st, but the Settle Carlisle special is now diesel only.

Maybe put some steam back into the old thread rather than having monthly one? I was such a noob on that thread, how much I’ve grown!!!

Thanks, forgot about this one :rofl:

April 1st
Arrives late evening, home to Carnforth Light Engine Movement (Humberstone Road - Carnforth Steamtown) - RailAdvent
Diesel all the way, steam cancelled The Settle & Carlisle Special (York - Appleby) - RailAdvent
Diesel / steam The Stratford Flyer (Norwich - Stratford-upon-Avon) - RailAdvent
Looks like steam all the way The Golden Arrow (Bristol Temple Meads - Canterbury West) - RailAdvent

Some heritage worth mentioning for April.

Great central railway Easter festival : Good Friday to Easter Monday. Resident locos only but busy timetable.

Severn valley railway spring steam gala 14th to 16th.

Followed by me paying time line events a ridiculous amount of money on the 18th for a trial return of a full day photo charter on the SVR with guest loco Pendennis castle 4079 pulling some old GWR coaches.

Doubt they will let me get the drone out. :roll_eyes: but will see what I get with my trusty A7RIV

1 Like

Sir Nigel at nene valley yesterday.

7 Likes

Great shots Ade, superb :clap:

2 Likes

44932 returning to Carnforth late yesterday afternoon. Mini 2 4K 30fps.

1 Like

So, surprisingly I was allowed the fly the drone at the Severn Valley Railway Photo gala on Tuesday. This was the first photo gala on the SVR for over 5 years and was a ‘test’ event to see if they could bring them back safely. It was with guest loco 4079 Pendennis Castle, pulling old GWR coaching stock. So old they weren’t fit to carry people so we had to venture in minibuses from location to location. I took over 1000 pictures in a day that started at 7am and finished at 6pm, taking photos in various locations and changing position as the train did multiple runs in said locations before moving off to the next location. Here’s some of my favourite pictures.

8 Likes

If anyone knows what light engine is going to Carnforth from Keighley this afternoon, please do tell.

The Northern Belle carriages are also making their way up the West Coast line to Carnforth.

Did this a while back.

2 Likes

Late noticing this. But if you post on ukrailforums in the urgent TOC sub forum someone is usually able to help you with what’s been designated to a headcode. Just ensure you provide the departure time, location and destination as sometimes the same headcode gets used more than once.

1 Like
5 Likes

More Pendennis Castle, this time on the Gloucester Warwickshire Railway for a sunset shoot. Sadly the clouds came rolling in so wasn’t much of a sunset.

3 Likes

Love those !

Brilliant pictures. The one with the signal in is very atmospheric… though the signal looks to be set incorrectly