The Grey Arrows 2nd Annual Birthday Competition

Last time I was there we were the only ones around. Yesterday it was heaving. Cars parked all over the place :open_mouth:

1 Like

I can see 13 :wink:

Just got up. Blurry eyes, no glasses :grin:

1 Like

Same here, I first thought there were more than that, love the viaduct.

1 Like

Item 8 - Church (with Bell Tower for Bonus Point)

Portsmouth Cathedral has a very interesting Bell Tower that resembles a Dove Cote and is known by some as Dove Tower. It has 12 bells.

3 Likes

Item 16 - Tall building ( bonus point for more than 20 floors)

My second image taken this morning with the sun desperately trying to break through in the background. This is the East Side Plaza Building, also ‘Lipstick Tower’, located in Gunwharf, Portsmouth. It has 26 floors.

2 Likes

Item 6 the suns reflection in the water ( with clouds in reflection for bonus point). This is Canoe Lake in Southsea taken this morning when the sun finally broke through sowing the clouds on the left hand side. Canoe Lake is A popular area for families and the swan boats are very popular with the tourists, and many an appearance on Instagram!

2 Likes

Item 9 - A castle ( with a moat for a bonus point)

This is Southsea Castle taken this morning. Where is the moat I hear you ask.Well according to CastleFortsBattles.co.uk http://www.castlesfortsbattles.co.uk/south_east/southsea_castle.html

The castle also had a square, central Keep and a dry moat which was protected by gun openings in the lower section of curtain wall. Two rectangular gun platforms were built on the east and west sides.

5 Likes

Sun & Clouds on water, Blithfield Reservoir, Staffs. Taken the afternoon of 5th July issues with SD card thought I’d lost it!

2 Likes

Going to push my luck with this one. Wind farm, this is the wind farm off Walney Island Barrow in furness. taken at 10:22 I could see this a lot better with my naked eye, but I flew the Mavic 2 Zoom 1.4Km out over Morecambe bay and zoomed in but the result wasn’t as good as I had hoped, if you zoom in on the photo there are definitely 14 visible individual wind turbines. there are 30 out there, but there was no way I was going to send her 8 miles out just to get a better picture

I flew out from

1 Like

Item 13 - Monument (with wiki entry for bonus point)

Portsmouth Naval Memorial located taken this morning. In 2016 this monument was listed as a grade 1 building.

2 Likes

#15 “Suspension bridge” (actually a cable-stayed bridge) bonus point for three towers. This is the Mersey Gateway. I’ll upload a video in one of the groups later once it has finished processing.

4 Likes

Item 10 - Clock Tower ( 7am today for a bonus point)

This is the Eastney Barracks clock tower, Portsmouth. The barracks have been converted into homes, including the clock tower! Have a look at the link below the photo.

2 Likes

Dronie. taken today at Carnforth. having a bit of a lazy fly. 12:30

2 Likes

Number 24, motorsport track and for the bonus point cars on the track.
this is Warton stockcar club today at 12:45 with the BriSCA stock cars doing a bit of their thing.

2 Likes

No2 - Lake or Reservoir - With a teeny but definitive Jetty (on right of photo) :

Shot taken yesterday around 8pm. Its Daneshill Lakes in Torworth. Notts.

3 Likes

No10 - Clock Tower @ 7am. Taken this morning. Retford Town Hall, Nottinghamshire :

2 Likes

No13 - Monument - Retford War Memorial. Retford, Notts. Taken a little afgter 7am this morning :

Although there a Wikipedia page, it contained no information, only other photos of the monument so have opted for this link instead :

https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/RollOfHonour/WarMemorials/Details/385

2 Likes

@sunstone please clarify that last post.

Is it an entry for No 13 Monument? Or No 25 100 years old?

Please edit/delete/repost - We can only have one entry per post.

Leaderboard updated!

(@sunstone this leader board update does not include any of your entries in this post - please resubmit as separate posts)

Welcoming @Rezzmo to the competition, along with the first suspension bridge! :clap:t2:

Also welcoming @BrianB with the first tall building and the first castle with a moat! :clap:t2:

And @stevesb brings us the first motorsport track - And he takes the lead!! :clap:t2:

1 Like