The Grey Arrows 2nd Annual Birthday Competition

I’ve been designing bridges for nearly 30 years and I am pretty much certain there aren’t any with three towers in the UK, although I’m happy to be surprised. If the category was “cable-supported bridges” then that does open up possibilities …

1 Like

Anyway, here’s a solar farm. Just off the Trans-Pennine Trail, near Sinderland Road, Sale, Cheshire. Hard to tell as it shows on Google maps on my phone but not on my PC, but I think it’s around 11-12 acres.

4 Likes

Whaaaaaat?

How have I missed this post … rats. Time to get a hunting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes , I know that one, definitely not big enough! :joy:

Glad I am not the only one struggling with this one - maybe a different definition of tower is being used?!

For some clarity with the suspension bridge entry.

We don’t mind how it’s suspended. If it’s by cables, cable ties, elastic bands, steel wires or pipe cleaners then it’s all good.

For the purposes of this treasure hunt, these are all considered suspension bridges.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification :grinning: If any others in the north west want to meet up to bag one of those, let me know, I’m planning an evening trip.

Thanks, and only one with the 3 towers, so thinking I might have to skip that bonus point! :wink:

There are definitely two with three towers, with the wider definition.

2 Likes

do you get more points if you incorporate multiple items in one image?

1 Like

Probably a lifetime disqualification for not actually reading the rules. :wink:

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl: oh yeah

2 Likes

St Michaels Mount, item 9, taken on 10th June 2019, Castle with the biggest moat in the UK :rofl:

5 Likes

@lee

4 Likes

Solar Farm - Westbury/Battlefield Shrewsbury. Bit annoyed, couldn’t find anywhere south of the farm to park and launch from (in order to get shot of “shiny side” of panels. Launched from the North and every time I got remotely near the 400Kv power lines lost signal and so couldn’t fly South - Grr. So South facing view of 55 Acres of the backs of panels so interesting optical patterns though

Taken about Lunchtime today
Info from renewables map UK
Location in the UK : England, Westbury, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Type of installation: Solar on/offshore: on
Solar Panels Capacity : 17.1 MW
Acreage: 55 or approx Hectares : 22
Approx Date of 1st power generation: September 2014

5 Likes

Are you sure that’s the cause? I’ve flown exceedingly close to them without issue, and others have managed to fly between the cables … albeit unintentionally.

I was also parked in layby next to a big Artic, but I didn’t think he was in my way as I could see the drone all the time, but he could have been a contributing factor.
Don’t know if I really want to go flying round pylons just to see what causes the issue :sweat_smile::zap::zap::zap::cry:

2 Likes

Number 18. Wheatley Windmill in Oxfordshire.

6 Likes

Canal Lock - with Narrowboat.
Tyrley Locks - a run of five Locks between Norbury and Market Drayton. Thought a hyperlapse of the whole lock process would be a bit different :slight_smile: The guy driving/steering also had a Mavic which he used to fly ahead and check for morring spaces!

6 Likes

Excellent! A canal boat with powerboat acceleration! lol :+1::grin:

1 Like