The Grey Arrows 3rd Annual Birthday Competition and Treasure Hunt

This is RAF Condover, photographed at lunchtime today.

It was used for flying from August 1942 to June 1945, operating three runways, mostly for training. Today most of the site is occupied by a riding stables, Berriewood Farm, who lease out much of the former runway area to a solar farm operator.

The control tower survives and is visible bottom right in the photo. It was up for sale a few years ago, and my understanding is it was indeed sold, although it still looks derelict.

According to Wikipedia and various other web pages, one hangar still survives. You will struggle to see it in the photo, but so far as I can tell it’s a blister hangar in amongst the industrial estate buildings towards the top right - it’s just about possible to make it out from Google Streetview. In the photo it’s just visible behind a large green/white industrial shed at the left-hand edge of the industrial area.

I’m happy to lose the point for the hangar if the judges consider that it is “one original hangar building” rather than “the original Hanger buildings” (there were originally ten and only one survives).

3 Likes

That should get accepted, :clap:t2: :clap:t2:

2 Likes

Thinking of Steve’s @McSteamy2010 hangar, yours may get bounced :cry:
Good find though :clap:t2: :clap:t2:

1 Like

I was already pushing my range, no way I was going to get all the way over :joy:

2 Likes

Owww! Do we have to talk about this again :man_facepalming:t4::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Changing the subject …

I shot this yesterday morning, it’s a steam loco on the Llangollen Railway, entering a tunnel just north of Berwyn Station.

It’s a bit of a crappy video, stitched together from the few moments when I wasn’t wildly swinging the camera around trying to spot the train amongst the trees!

4 Likes

I was getting pretty sure I’d not get one of these. A local farmer had agreed to let me film his harvest, and promised to let me know when it would happen. A few days later, out hunting cows, I spotted he had done the deed and I’d missed my chance.

So, yesterday after lunch, last battery running low, I was en route from one former RAF airfield to another, just past the village of Lyneal in Shropshire, when this beauty appeared behind a hedge. Luckily there was space to stop on the lane, and to try my first take-off from the car roof.

It’s a New Holland combine harvester, for anyone who needs to know such things. I might have had a chance to get it offloading into the wagon, but the battery was too low.

3 Likes

Spotted my first Eddie Stobart truck for months today :slight_smile:

Running in convoy with a second one! :slight_smile:

On the M1 - just before I turned off, taking a friend to Luton Airport. :frowning:

In the dark at 05:30 :sob:

4 Likes

Photo, or it didn’t happen :wink:

I did try.

But lobbing a Mavic Air out of the driver’s window at 70mph didn’t quite have the effect I had hoped. If the police have retrieved the SD card they will have a great view of the resulting five vehicle pile-up.

6 Likes

If you had held onto the Mavic Air, could you have logged a sneaky speed record? Anyway … getting off topic! :wink:

3 Likes

Possibly the only legal angle I could get of this site.

4 Likes

22: Car boot sale
Claiming 2 points please, more than 50 stalls clearly identifiable.
Measham car boot sale, Leicestershire
23rd August at 8:10am
Take Off Location: 52.698048, -1.495436

4 Likes

Oooo, getting close at the top!

This is a photo/video competition, so the item and/or bonus(es) do have to be evidenced visually in the photo/video submitted, not “according to” other sources.

2 Likes

Full Leader-board updated.

[1=] @McSteamy2010 [40 points]
[1=] @Steviegeek [40 points]
[3] @kvetner [37points]
[4] @macspite [34 points]
[5] @Neil79 [27 points]
[6] @Fatboy [22 points]
[7] @Meondrone [20 points]
[8] @lee [17 points]
[9] @stevesb [14 points]
[10] @WeeJubya [13 points]
[11] @TonyDM [10 points]
[12=] @scorps [8 points]
[12=] @JoeC [8 points]
[14=] @Drones-CL [4 points]
[14=] @anon52324101 [4 points]
[16] @ChrisC2 [3 points]
[17] @Jhdee [2 points]
[18] @Richmighty [1 point]

(E&OE)

A little bit close at the top! :+1:

3 Likes

Ah hello there Neighbor :wave:t3: @Steviegeek :wink:

2 Likes

Hello there neighbour Steve @McSteamy2010 so where do we go from here in the next four days :laughing: ?
Upwards is the aim :+1::+1:

1 Like

Think the only thing we can do is organize a bloody ploughing competition mate :smirk: :calendar:

3 Likes

I have been contemplating such a idea but tractors are bloody expensive and horses are smelly :scream:

2 Likes