The Harborough Sessions

We are here.

Had a good time last night. :smiley:

Unfortunately, despite the promising (if peculiar) images from the bench, the Thumb is worse then ever. I guess I’m going to replace it but, of course, no-one has any stock right now. Maybe I’ll get a crappy one from B&M in the meantime. It’s probably all I’m fit for. :rofl:

Anyway, here’s some goggle footage instead, featuring someone’s foolish offspring standing on the trig point, and the arrival of @Yith and Brendan.

4 Likes

I noticed last night that almost all of my HD footage from all my cams was a bit rubbish. It seems that none really liked the low light conditions. Today’s flights were great in the bright sunshine.

So don’t give up on your thunb yet…

Well, this is what I got on Thursday. :stuck_out_tongue:

However, I’ve just opened it up again and both the surface of the sensor and the IR filter glass (which has a huge crack through it, by the way) at the back of the lens were covered in that white sminge you sometimes get with superglue. I guess because there was a perfect seal around the bottom of the lens and the PCB there was nowhere for anything that anything that vents off during the curing process to go. I also put it pretty much straight back together once the bond had taken.

So I’ve cleaned everything up and this time I’ve taken some material off each side to make a small arch and only put tiny dabs of glue on each corner and left it all disassembled for a good while to cure.

And after I’d done all that, I found this. :laughing:

We’ll see how today goes with it.

3 Likes

Interesting article

More at Harborough this evening.

1 Like

Hmmm… that’s come out quite dark hasn’t it… It looked great on my laptop with OLED screen…

Here’s the video from my £17 Kitvision Action Camera :laughing:

Although it claims to be 4K I believe that’s upscaled and its maximum physical resolution is 2K.
This was shot at 1080p 60fps, everything else at default.
Clearly the automatic white balance was not doing it any favours.
Occasionally it looks nearly OK, but frequently goes into “Borderlands 2” mode, looking very cartoonish.

I’ll have to have another go with fixed white balance and exposure, and maybe drop it down to 30fps.

By the way, it was £17 when I got it a month ago. But it’s since shot up to £45 :astonished: And it definitely ain’t worth that. :grin:

1 Like

Yeah, not worth it for £45 for sure!
It worked… but yes rather cartoony.

I’m going to put up a new version of my video with some gamma correction.

I’ll have to try my cheapo cam… £35 when I bought it 1080p.

and it fits in my gopro mount!

1 Like

Try again. Slightly brighter. Still, it shows how much nicer this OLED laptop screen is compared with my desktop monitors!

(Laptop can also handle the framerate better as well… this desktop is really struggling!)

1 Like

Has it been sped up Richard? Im watching it on my phone and the movements look unnatural. Might just be my phone causing it? :thinking:

Yes 3x speed up…

I played around with editing… I was flying quite slow and in the end just went for a speed up to match the music.

I’ve found on some machines (this crap work desktop for instance) that it can’t handle the 2160p60 version… it is actually smooth on other devices.

Ah that makes sense, thought my brain was playing tricks on me lol :laughing: Looks like a great flying spot :star_struck:

It is… but we’ve now been there soooo many times… lol

Yeah it can get a bit samey flying the same places all the time lol Ive found a couple of new spots down in kent that need to get explored but not had a chance to get to them yet

I nipped up there yesterday to see if I could improve the video quality on my toy action cam (haven’t yet) and check the Darwin was working properly.

I caught the last few people leaving after a motorcycle trials event. Had I known about that, I’d’ve gone up a bit earlier with the DJI.

1 Like