The never ending "Bad Press" thread

Drone flew so close to passenger jet over Kew that crew thought it had hit plane - Sky News

I’m just going to come right out and call bullshit on this one too :poop:

The plane was at 1,700ft (520m) and the drone was five feet away from it?!

Surely the wind at that height from an Airbus 321 jumbo jet travelling at 160MPH would have blown a plastic Phantom half a bloody mile away before it even got within fifty feet, never mind five feet?

7 Likes

Me too Rich - utter bollocks :imp:

1 Like

I agree, but sadly those with little knowledge will believe it.

I agree. Five feet from the cockpit windows - a little (minuscule) Phantom would have either been pushed miles away by the wash or sucked into the engines, I’d have thought anyway.

What bothers me is that commercial pilots, responsible individuals you’d hope, seem to be reporting this stuff. Which doesn’t make any sense

Are they though? #fakenews? I don’t know…

It’s Sky News. C’mon guys. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good point, I rest my case :rofl:

1 Like

Well it looks like another dickhead has put another nail in the drone coffin.

1 Like

That’s how it should be handled to be honest.

Prosecute the idiots.

Good to see existing laws being used rather than calling for new ones.

4 Likes

Yes, but the real news there is that Arbroath won the derby 2-0.

4 Likes

They’ve got him - he’ll be prosecuted - that’s the positive side of the story. Will be interesting to see what penalties are imposed .

1 Like

I wonder if Arbroath v Montrose had a crowd of over 1000 people :rofl:

2 Likes

Well this is contained in the ANO amendment.

Article 7 of this Order also introduces new procedural requirements applying to small unmanned aircraft with a mass of 250 grams or more. From 30th November 2019 these provisions will prohibit the remote pilot from flying the small unmanned aircraft, and the SUA operator from causing or permitting it to be flown, unless the SUA operator has a valid certificate of registration and the registration number is displayed on the aircraft (see new articles 94C and 94D) and the remote pilot has a valid acknowledgement of competency (see new articles 94E and 94F). Certificates of registration and acknowledgements of competency will be issued by the Civil Aviation Authority, but they will not be required to accept applications before 1st October 2019. The Secretary of State will have power to make regulations prescribing the minimum age requirement for registration as an SUA operator (see new article 94C(1)©) and the manner in which the registration number must be displayed on the aircraft (article 94D(2)(b)).

I wonder what a certificate of competency will cost and what hoops do we have to jump tthrough to gain one

2 Likes

Can you post a link for that info, @Brian? Thanks! :+1:

1 Like

Will try.

2 Likes

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2018/623/made
The part about registration is right at the bottom in “explanatory notes”
Basically no drone will be allowed to fly lawfully unless it has been registered and the registration number is displayed on the aircraft.
The operator must also be registered having completed a test and received a certificate of competence.
Applications to be registered for the test cannot be made until 1st October 2019. The rule comes into effect on 30th November 2019.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m glad I only have 1 drone to worry about, it might work out expensive if I had a few to register.

1 Like

94D …
(3) The remote pilot of the small unmanned aircraft must not fly it unless the remote pilot has reasonably formed the view that the SUA operator complies with the requirements in paragraph (2) in relation to that flight.

Who is the Remote Pilot ?
Who is the SUA Operator ?

If I am flying the drone, am I the Remote Pilot, or the SUA Operator ?