The sky's the limit, right? - Leigh, Lancashire

Not huge on introductions, so I’ll keep it short and sweet.

I’m totally new to the drone scene, having just bought my first one this week and still yet to fly it. I thought it would be wise to read some stuff first and familiarise myself with all the rules and regs.

I’m located in Leigh, Lancashire, and any advice/guidance on where I can and can’t fly safely locally would be appreciated.

Cheers, and thanks for having me.

2 Likes

welcome

I am sure a admin will be along soon. You have not said what drone but a good starting point would be The Drone and Model Aircraft Code | UK Civil Aviation Authority

as to where to fly have a look at the drone scene uses your member ship from here https://dronescene.co.uk

Have fun be safe to yourself and others.

Adrian

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome Adrian.

The drone is just a basic beginner’s and nothing fancy. It’s the HolyStone HS720E.

Thanks for the info links!

Again not aware of the Holystone 720, I basically have a cheap Snaptain SP650 until I can decide if I wish to go further and i found it is very confusing to begin with, (an age thing?).

A few sites and pdf’s that may help along the way
https://c0drone.com/ This is useful to determine that class of drone and also
https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP2003_EU_Drone_Rules_Factsheet_V7%201.pdf
CAP2008: Drone Rules: THE NEW UAS REGULATIONS
CAP2012: Drone Rules: REQUIREMENTS FOR FLYING IN THE OPEN CATEGORY

These are CAP2003, CAP2008 and CAP2012 which I have all printed and keep with me as well as the CAA drone stuff Op ID flyer ID and Public insurance from FPV.

This is all in case of the Karen’s that are around.

have fun.

I will now go off and look at your drone!

Adrian

Cheers for the links Adrian. Very helpful, thanks. It’s a minefield trying to suss out what applies to what and what rules have changed to what. I think I’m on the right track. I’ve got my Operator’s ID and licence to fly now. It’s just a case of getting my head around certain stuff, and then remembering it. It’s definitely an age thing. I’m in my mid-fifties and sometimes things don’t stay in memory even when they’ve been committed. :wink:

Just looked at the info on the Holy , as it is close to 500 gram, has a camera etc so having the OP and Flyer ID is a must, so good on you having them. Have a look around the site and others posts on where they have been, use drone scene and stay away from the FRZ areas for the airports and other establishments we have in the NW area, use the Good to Go tab on the drone scene page as it will take you through a series of questions and give an answer the best it can.

Enjoy.

Adrian

1 Like

Hi @elduder,
Welcome to this friendly group from a member living in Westhoughton. I’ve got to get out to practice some moves with my drone for a forthcoming flight test which you are very welcome to come along. If you want to meet up and chat/fly/whatever let me know.
Barry

Hi @elduder from a very sunny Wigan :wave:t2:

Welcome check out our very own good 2 go

Thanks for the warm welcome @BCF. It’s nice to see there’s a few of us living locally. And thanks for the offer of meeting up. I’d like to do that; I need to see how the pros do it. I’m a total novice and want to make sure I do everything right. Just let me know the details of where and when and I’ll check my schedule. Cheers.
Keith.

Hi @PingSpike nice to meet you, from equally sunny Leigh. :sunglasses:

Thanks for the welcome @milkmanchris and for the link. :+1:

Welcome to GADC Keith :+1: :+1: :+1:

Thanks! Nice to be here. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m free most days and evenings as I’m retired - with the exception of this Saturday and Sunday (helping youngest daughter move house!) - so whatever suits you. As for an initial location can I suggest right at the top of Gibfield Park Way - it’s at the very end of Atherleigh Way, Atherton end, go straight across the roundabout onto Gibfield Park Way and continue 3-400 yards where you can park at the roundabout, then walk another 300 yards to the open spaces. It’s on our ‘Drone Scene’ website. Over to you.

@BCF - You won’t believe it, Barry, but this location is the exact spot I’ve been looking at to fly! I grew up in Howe Bridge, so I’m familiar with all the ‘back fields’ and the ‘hidden spaces’. How are you fixed for next Wednesday (21st) around 10:30 am? The weather looks good that day and I’m free for a couple of hours. I’ll meet you at the roundabout. What do you think?

1 Like

No problemo. I’ll see you there on the 21st, 10.30am. I’ll be the big guy in the beige Audi Q7.

I feel this is turning into an online dating agency, will Admin please get grip !!!

@Rafter :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :joy:

Cheers Barry. You’re now penciled in my diary. :grinning: It’ll give me time to have a read of my drone instructions over the weekend and familiarise myself with its operation. I’ll be the long-haired dude in the grey Mazda CX-5. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: