Threatening behaviour, spat at!

So in my introduction I mentioned that I have only just got back into flying again after a incident. That knocked my confidence big time.
Here’s what happened.
Firstly I must stress that I have video footage that I believe shows that I was not doing what the aggressive little man suggested.
I, my dear wife, and a good friend of ours that was interested in what a drone is and what it looks like, we’re all at the edge of the River Trent.
Bare in mind that we are all pensioners and whilst the other two were sat on the bench I set up the phantom 3 for its second ever flight.
The River Bank is approx 100 yards away from a b road then about 50ft further on there’s a few houses. I was very aware of the road so wanted to stay about 30ft high and well away from the road. I was more concerned about the road than dropping into the river.
Anyway there I was flying the p3 about 100 yards in front of us down the edge of the river bank, wanting to show the water lapping up against the edge.
All went OK, no worries apart from landing in a bit of tall grass. But still all was OK.
I was bent over packing up when I was aware of shouting behind me, a 40 something guy was angrily stomping towards me telling me that I was going down, and my gear was going into the river. When I asked what the hell he was on about, his reply was that I had flown my phantom 3 over to his house hovering above it and watching his wife through a back bedroom window. And she had seen it and it had upset her.
Then I was told that burglary had taken place in the area and they use drones to checkout the house to intrude. Therefore I was a potential burglar. When I told him that, that was rubbish, he got right into my face, threatened to drop me and spat at me.
I had a choice now, have a go back at him, or do what I did, and that was to tell him that I had a record of the flight and footage of where the drone was exactly.
He backed off and I tried to show him the footage, at this, he wandered back from wherever he came from just saying that his wife saw something.
I just said that it could not have been me, and sorry she was upset, but I had nothing to do with it.
If I’d have retaliated, he would probably got the better of me, I am disabled and the North of 60 so it was the best way for me to handle that particular situation.
Never the less, it knocked me that much that I didn’t even get the phantom out of the box for over 2 years.
I now make certain that I’m not going to run into anyone. By being out in the sticks, miles from anywhere.
Anyway sorry for going on, but I was asked to share my experience.
Regards
Marty

11 Likes

Some people are just nobs mate. It’s their problem. They do it cos they have problems. Get back on your horse and fly!

3 Likes

I have mate, just needed a boot up the ass, which I kindly got from my Dear wife.
Two years on, and I have a m2p.
But it was NOT an experience I want to repeat.
He was either in drink or drugs and the situation could have ended up very differently!

6 Likes

When he threatened you and your property he was committing an offence, if you had told him you were reporting him to the police and you knew were he lived, he had just told you, I think his attitude may have changed. Safe and happy flying mate.

3 Likes

I’m afraid it’s just the luck of the draw. You may fly happily all over for the rest of your life and never have another problem, equally you may wander out your back door tomorrow into a total shit storm. You are always at the mercy of the weakest link and unfortunately that generally means those with heightened testosterone levels and a point to prove. No matter how big and tough you are you are best placed to be non threatening and walk away. So what if you lose face or items that can be replaced, you’re alive and there really is nothing else to gain by getting into a scrape with lord knows who in these times. I am a perfect example of going off half cocked at all and sundry that cross my path and many is the time I’ve had to sit down and have a calm down and even thank my lucky stars that the other party saw sense and backed away or I’d be in prison. As you get older and wiser you really start to see the sense in walking the other way and letting go. So, I would honestly say to you, don’t let this incident define who and what you are, the other bloke probably never even gave it another thought. Do what you enjoy, take note and act responsibly and maybe no one will bother you again but don’t let it beat you.

3 Likes

Spitting at you is assault and he would get arrested for that as you had your wife as a witness

1 Like

Suffice to say Marty that person has much bigger problems in his life than your drone. You were his excuse to ‘vent’ at that time. Doubtless others have also been on the receiving end of his nasty irrational paranoid temper. Glad your back ‘on board’ with the drone (barge pun intended) :rofl::+1:

1 Like

Very true indeed, I’ve moved on, or should I say sailed on. Lol.
Thanks again folks
Glad I choose to not knock his block off.
Never condone violence.

1 Like

Marty,
You done the right thing in not lighting his fuse!.
I have had several confrontations, as can be seen by some of my early posts.
Keeping calm, and not antagonising the person is the key.
Know your rights of where you are flying so you do not put yourself in the hot seat.
I have found by having your Drone PLI , drone code, and any other paperwork that you think you may need with you helps.
There is a lot of useful paperwork in my post in the Members Only area, which has been useful to Members in the past.
Keep on flying Marty, I like you are a pensioner, but, I will not let people get to me!.

1 Like

Thanks @Marty086 for letting us know of the incident, sound like the guy had behaviour issues by the sound of it or a really pushy wife… we all know that one :wink:
You did the right thing but… 2 years is a long time to stop doing something you enjoy due to someone’s pushiness
I have flown with a few people from the forum and luckily have only had good responses from the general public, myself and @mickydd flew recently at castle hill near Huddersfield and approached by the local ranger giving out copies of the drone code luckily I had my PfCO with me and had a very good chat with him and also some of the general public which all went well but could have gone south if people are that way out
Thanks again for getting it off your chest and now able to move on and enjoy the joys of droning…

1 Like

And a great time we had too Jeff !, unhindered !.
Roll on Sunday !, Mediterranean Cruise here I come !.
(P.S. you will be glad to know guys, I may be a bit quiet on here for a couple of weeks!)

I know ,first hand,exactly how you feel,glad you are flying again,i have still yet do so!!!:neutral_face::neutral_face:

1 Like

Get ya arse out there Tony, bollicks to what others think !.

1 Like

You tight bugger, have you not purchased the onboard WiFi?
Get your hand in your pocket. No excuse just because your on your holidays, even if you are on a cruise :ship::ship::ship::ship:

1 Like

Now Mick I am not tight ! ,it is costing me all of 10 dollars a day for my cruise, that’s not being tight !
I hasten to add that includes all food.
But, I have got to buy a drinks package, but, I do get 40% off.
My daughters Officers Cabin ,is Only steps away from the “ very cheap” Crew Bar.
I think I can stagger that far !.

2 Likes

How’s the Osmo pocket going Chris?
All set and packed ready for the “Cruise” (visions of Al Pacino sprint to mind)

1 Like

Yeah good, had a play with it, hope to try the functions more when I get onboard.
Plenty to remember, I must admit I do like it now I am fully “ Accessorised “.
My Bank balance is not liking it much !.
The GoPro is staying at home this time !

Yes Chris absolutely,no excuse,get yer hand in yer pocket and buy that onboard WIFI,cant wait to hear what you have to say from the boat !!.BTW,are you taking a drone??? or 3? :rofl::rofl::rofl::+1:

Toooo feckin right!, all packed and ready!
Oasis of the Seas, here I come!

1 Like

The boy done good…glad to see you have been properly trained !!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::+1: