Tips for flying in mountainous valleys

As a new drone licensee I am familiar with wind currents in valleys from my online training. I would like to make a trip to a mountain range and try some landscape photography, but the potential hazards, valley winds and turbulence, worry me, especially as my total flying hours are not that high.

What have others found and have you any tips?

1 Like

@Will-R Take an umbrella? :rofl:
Seriously, use UAV Forecast App and Mountain Weather Forecast at following link: Mountain weather forecast - Met OfficeMountain Weather Forecast

Good Luck :+1: :+1:

Hi Will,

I love your methodical and analytical approach to risk management. However my advice would be to just check the forecast and local restrictions. Its a hobby, dont forget to have fun, its possible to over analyse. Turbulence will never really be something you have to worry about. Just get up to the mountains and send it! I am looking forward to seeing your pictures and vids :grinning:

Thanks Richard, I do have someone lined up who knows the mountain range I have mind and can act as a guide. Weather is often unpredictable and changes at short notice and safety is paramount.

If the turbulence and wind shear are strong enough to affect a GPS-stabilised drone, it’s likely the wind is too strong to fly in anyway.

All I’d check is whether it’s an area used by the RAF for flight training.

@Will-R The following mountaing link gives the info on low flying as well as checking NOTAMs on drone scene.
RAF Low flying
:ok_hand:

1 Like

Ive flown a lot in the Pyrenees and found that weather forecasts are pretty much a waste of time as they give a general overview of the area. Each valley can have its own microclimate which can vary a lot.
I tend to take off if it looks ok and fly slowly and see what the wind is like higher up.